Time for another Blogger’s Choice swap, hosted by A Taste of Home Cooking. Blogger’s Choice is when I’m assigned another cooking blog and I can choose any recipe I want to make. I received Kate’s Recipe Box, which in the past has brought you tasty recipes like Peanut Butter Pudding Cookies and Cranberry Apple Chutney.
We opt in to these swaps, and have two weeks to make our recipes. More than enough time, right? Except with the flurry of last-minute shopping, wrapping and baking, I totally forgot. I had glanced through her recipe index when I first received my assignment, intending to make a new cookie recipe, or something for Christmas dessert.
So, here it was two days before the post was due, and I hadn’t even chosen a recipe yet. I was completely cookie’d out (I know — who thought THAT was possible??). It was cold, and sleeting. I wanted soup.
Kate just happened to have a recipe in her blog for Broccoli Cheddar Soup, which is what I get every time I go to Panera Bread. She doesn’t claim that it’s a copy of the Panera soup, and it definitely doesn’t have the same taste or texture, so if that’s what you’re after, you might want to keep looking. However, it was still delicious, very quick and easy to put together, and very satisfying.
- 6 tablespoon unsalted butter, divided
- 1 ½ small yellow onion, chopped
- 1 cup shredded carrot
- 3 cup (24 oz) low-sodium chicken broth
- 3 cup broccoli florets
- ½ teaspoon onion salt
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 cup milk
- 2 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large stockpot, melt 2 tablespoons of the butter over medium heat. Add the onion to the pan and sauté for about 5 minutes or until tender. Add the shredded carrot to the pan and cook a couple minutes more.
- Add the chicken broth to the pan. Remove from the heat, and purée with an immersion blender until smooth.
- Return the pan to the stovetop. Add the broccoli, onion salt and garlic powder. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer.
- While the soup is simmering, in a medium saucepan, melt the remaining 4 tablespoons of butter. Add the flour, and whisking constantly, cook over medium heat for 1 to 2 minutes, until golden brown. Gradually whisk in the milk, and cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, for five minutes, until thick and bubbly. Add the cheese and stir until melted and fully combined.
- Remove the cheese sauce from the heat and add to the soup. Stir until fully incorporated. Add salt and pepper to taste, and simmer until heated through and the broccoli is tender.
Click on the photos to see what other bloggers made for the swap!