So, the small amount of feedback I got on my last Monday Bites was positive. So, the series will continue!
I want to spend the post helping you get to know me.
Hi, I’m Coleen. I was born in, raised in, and still live in Philadelphia. I am engaged to a wonderful man named Dave, and we have a nearly-two-year-old son named Liam. We also have two rescued dogs, Carl and Reese.
By day, I am a graphic design contracter for a national bank. I have a bachelor of Arts degree in Digital Arts and Multimedia Design (I can hear you all saying, a degree in WHAT??). I’ve been doing graphic design for 8 years.
I also have a culinary degree in Pastry Arts. I worked in professional kitchens for 3 years before calling it quits. I couldn’t get myself up at 4 a.m. I couldn’t stand getting elbow-deep in cake batter. I HATED decorating 30,000 Christmas cupcakes the exact. same. way.
I left baking, and went back to graphic design. I started a food blog in 2009 as a way to catalog the recipes that I cooked and enjoyed.
Top 10 Random Facts About Me:
- Yes, my hair is naturally red. I was born a strawberry-blonde, though the color has naturally darkened over the years. I recently dyed it, and it came out a really intense red. I’m still not sure if I like it.
- I tap-danced for about 10 years. I had a supporting role in the musical 42nd Street in my high school’s drama program.
- I was neither a “girly girl” nor a tomboy growing up. I have recently come to love shopping. Particularly for shoes and makeup. And clothing in colors other than black. Still wouldn’t call myself a “girly girl,” though.
- I’m addicted to coffee. I used to be a “hot coffee only” person, but Dave recently made iced coffee using Cook Like a Champion’s method, and I tried some. It is awesome.
- I can’t pick a favorite season. There are things I love about each one (as well as things I hate about each one). I love living in an area where I distinctly experience all four seasons.
- I’m really “Type A.” I like to be in control. I like charts and data. I like step-by-step directions on how to do, well, everything.
- I’m a pack rat. I give emotional value to things. I have already warned Dave that I will probably break down into a puddle of tears when it’s time to get rid of Liam’s baby things (clothes included).
- I love watching professional hockey. I do not understand why people watch football.
- I was a bookworm as a child. I taught myself to read by following along with books on record (yes, records). I kept books all over the house. I read books while eating meals. I got into trouble at school for reading non-school books during class.
- I can’t watch scary movies. My “scary movies” classification is very broad. If a movie freaks me out even a tiny bit (and let’s put it this way, I was scared during the “Ghost of Christmas Future” scene in The Muppet Christmas Carol), it’s a scary movie and I won’t watch it.