Cranberry-apple sangria is a great cool-weather drink, perfect for holidays like Thanksgiving and Christmas. The flavors of apple, cranberry and cinnamon pair well with the full-bodied shiraz.
Moving along in Cranberry Week, I’m sharing a sangria recipe that would be perfect for the cold-weather holidays like Thanksgiving, Christmas or New Years. The base is a full-bodied shiraz red wine, the darkest of the red wines.
The flavoring comes from sliced honeycrisp apples, fresh cranberries, and cinnamon sticks. I love adding cinnamon sticks to fall-ish/winter-ish sangrias. I love the subtle spice it adds to the cocktail.
I want to note, before I go on, that I call it “Shiraz,” but it is also known as “Syrah.” They’re the same thing. It’s a very tannin-heavy red wine (which means lots of antioxidants!), and many of the brands available have notes of berries, which is why I chose this variety for this cranberry-based sangria.
I love making sangria for parties and holiday dinners because it’s so easy to make a large batch. And because sangria is best when it’s had some time to chill, it’s ideal for making in advance.
This is a really smooth cocktail for sipping. I really enjoyed this sangria, and I am positive that it will be making repeat appearances in my home in the autumn and winter months to come. I might vary it by using apple brandy instead of regular brandy.
I hope you’re enjoying Cranberry Week so far, and we still have more cranberry recipes to come in the next few days!
[amazon_link asins=’B07377J3RT,B01B7HSI76,B01N4LZHNX,B002IT6VHM,B01LW2I4QA’ template=’ProductCarousel’ store=’theredheadbak-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’22e4f90f-e237-11e8-80cc-57cdd22db26a’]
- 5 cinnamon sticks (3 inches in length each)
- 2 honeycrisp apples, cored and sliced
- 2 cups fresh cranberries
- 750 mL Shiraz red wine
- 2 cups apple cider
- 1 cup cranberry juice, not cranberry juice cocktail
- 1/2 cup brandy
- Juice from 1 lemon
- Place the cinnamon sticks, apples, and cranberries in a large pitcher.
- Add the wine, apple cider, cranberry juice, bourbon and lemon juice, and stir well.
- Place in the refrigerator for 8-24 hours.
- Serve chilled.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 1 Serving Size: serving
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 191Sodium: 7mgCarbohydrates: 22gFiber: 2gSugar: 15g
Adapted from What Molly Made
More #CranberryWeek Recipes
- Cranberry Apple Crisp from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Cranberry Balsamic Sheet Pan Chicken with Brussels Sprouts from The Gingered Whisk
- Cranberry Breakfast Smoothie from Our Good Life
- Cranberry Chicken Noodle Soup from Palatable Pastime
- Cranberry Orange Muffins from Kate’s Recipe Box
- Creamy Cranberry Chicken Wild Rice Soup from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Fall Magic Bars from Books n’ Cooks
- Herbed Cranberry Chèvre Truffles from Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Turkey Cranberry Bagels from Jolene’s Recipe Journal
- White Chocolate Cranberry Popcorn from Family Around the Table