This post is sponsored in conjunction with AppleWeek . I received product samples from sponsor companies to aid in the creation of the AppleWeek recipes. All opinions are mine alone.
Apple cornbread gets a sweet-tart flavor from grated green apples. Use Nordic Ware’s apple cakelet pan to make adorable apple-shaped individual servings.
It’s Day 3 of AppleWeek! Have you checked out the giveaway prizes and entered to win yet? If not, head over to Monday’s post to read about the prize packs from our generous sponsors and fill out the entry form.
Today I’m sharing a recipe that’s a little bit sweet, and a little bit savory. It’s apple cornbread, baked into individual servings in Nordic Ware’s apple cakelet pan.
How cute are these apple cornbread cakelets? The wells include different shapes of apples, so some are a little bigger than others. My cornmeal was a little on the coarser side, so the shape of the apple wells are quite as defined, but something with a finer crumb, like cornbread made with finer cornmeal, or an apple cake, would show the outlines better.
I used green apples in this recipe, but you can use any good baking apple, like Braeburn, Gala, Honeycrisp, Fuji, etc. to make this cornbread. Sauce apples will break down during baking and affect the consistency of your cornbread.
I love Nordic Ware products. I have two of their bundt pans, and they make quality baking pans. They recommend brushing a little bit of melted butter into each well, then dusting with a little flour to prevent the cakelets from sticking.
To be perfectly honest, I completely forgot to dust my pan with flour after brushing with butter but before portioning out the batter, and my cornbread cakelets didn’t stick at all! These are delicious, and will make a great addition to our Thanksgiving meal this year!
[amazon_link asins=’B0007VO0CQ,B00004OCNQ,B06XSPVGH2,B000JPSI8C,B01HTYH8YA,B001713L84′ template=’ProductCarousel’ store=’theredheadbak-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’f9d2fcf3-bf6b-11e8-9802-b981fc3ca835′]
- 3/4 cup cornmeal
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 large egg, slightly beaten
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 3/4 cup finely grated apples, about 2 small Granny Smith
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a bowl, combine the corn meal, flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and sugar.
- In a separate bowl, beat together the egg and milk. Mix into the cornmeal mixture.
- Add the apples to the cornbread mixture and fold in gently.
- While whisking the cornbread mixture, gradually drizzle in the melted butter.
- Brush melted butter into each well of the Nordicware Apple Cakelet pan, then sift a little flour into each well. Using a medium cookie scoop, fill each well 3/4 full with batter.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 10 to 15 minutes, or until the center is cooked through. Cool on a wire rack until cool enough to handle and serve.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 1 Serving Size: cakelet
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 104 Saturated Fat: 1g Cholesterol: 17mg Sodium: 147mg Carbohydrates: 17g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 5g Protein: 2g
More AppleWeek Recipes:
- 1-Pot Apple Sausage Meatballs by Books n’ Cooks
- ABC Sheet Pan Dinner by Jolene’s Recipe Journal
- Apple Bacon Goat Cheese Salad by Jonesin’ For Taste
- Apple Bourbon Float by Our Good Life
- Apple Butter Overnight Chia Oatmeal by Love and Confections
- Apple Cinnamon Layer Cake with Brown Butter Streusel by The Baking Fairy
- Apple Crumble Muffins by The Anthony Kitchen
- Apple Noodle Kugel by Palatable Pastime
- Apple Pecan Salad with Apple Cider Vinaigrette by Everyday Eileen
- Apple Pie Dip by Mildly Meandering
- Apple Pie Donuts by Daily Dish Recipes
- Apple Pie Ebelskivers by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Apple Pork Burgers by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Apple Sausage Stuffing by West Via Midwest
- Baked Chai-Spiced Apple Chips by Culinary Adventures With Camilla
- Beet Apple Salad with Maple Vinaigrette by Caroline’s Cooking
- Butterscotch Harvest Cake by Tip Garden
- Caramel Apple Cookie Bars by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Caramel Apple Sheet Cake by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Cinnamon Apple Crumb Cake by Cookaholic Wife
- Cinnamon Caramel Apple Frozen Custard by Faith, Hope, Love & Luck
- Cold Apple Cider with Caramel Infused Rum by Amy’s Cooking Adventures
- Creamy Blue Cheese & Sliced Apple Crostini by Who Needs a Cape?
- Deconstructed Chocolate Caramel Mini Apple Pie by The Freshman Cook
- Deconstructed Skillet Apple Dumplings by Seduction in the Kitchen
- Fall Panzanella Salad by House of Nash Eats
- Fresh Apple Cake with Brown Sugar Glaze by Soulfully Made
- German Apple Cake with Brown Sugar Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting by Cooking With Carlee
- Glazed Spiced Apple Cider Cookies by Savory Moments
- Hasselback Apples by Kate’s Recipe Box
- Skillet Apple and Sausage Stuffing Recipe by Lemon Blossoms
- Skinny Apple Crisp by The Saucy Fig
- Slow Cooker Apple Butter by Shockingly Delicious
- One Pan Pork Chops with Apples and Cinnamon by Strawberry Blondie Kitchen
- Out of This World Apple Cake by Family Around the Table