This apple, squash and chicken skillet meal is perfect for busy weeknights: ready in under 30 minutes, and only one pan to wash!
Two years ago, we were living in a decent-sized two-bedroom apartment, with a bonus storage room, and a kitchen with lots of counter space. Sure, it bugged us that we were partially below-ground, which meant little natural light, and more than a few unwelcome creatures coming to visit.
The biggest problem wasn’t in the apartment itself, it was the area elementary school. Philadelphia public schools are in dire financial straits. The school we were zoned for was low-performing and there’d been several reports of drugs in the school — yes, in the elementary school! We decided to look for a new apartment.
We found one close to an area we’d lived previously, before having our son, in the heart of Philadelphia’s Center City. The local elementary school is still part of the Philadelphia school district, but has much more parental and community involvement and has much better results. The neighborhood is highly walkable (which we love), and the 2nd floor apartment gets lots of natural light.
The kitchen, though, has about two square feet of counter space, and NO DISHWASHER. We noticed the lack of counter space, but figured we could make do. We didn’t even notice the lack of a dishwasher until we were moving in. No worries, we thought. We can live without one.
Well, as time goes on, no, we really don’t want to live without one. Now that we both have new jobs outside of the city, we’re starting to look into moving again. In the meantime, though, one-skillet meals are invaluable because who wants to wash a skillet AND a pot or two, in addition to three plate, three sets of silverware, and three cups? Not me!
Every ingredient in this recipe is cooked in the same pan, and the flavors from the bacon infuse the chicken, then the chicken flavor permeates the apple and squash. Finally, chicken broth is added to the pan to soak up all the flavors from the dish into a pan sauce. It’s also ready in under 30 minutes!
- 4 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- Salt and pepper
- 1 inch small delicata squash, cut into 1- cubes
- 2 slices Granny Smith apples, cored and cut into thin
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 1/2 cup reduced sodium chicken broth
- Place the bacon in a large skillet. Turn the heat to medium-high and cook the bacon until crispy (about 5 minutes). Remove from the skillet with a slotted spoon to a paper-towel lined plate. Set aside.
- Season the chicken generously with salt and pepper. Cook the chicken in the bacon drippings on all sides until cooked through (about 8 minutes). Remove the chicken to a plate, tent with foil to keep warm.
- Add the squash to the skillet, season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until fork-tender, about 10 minutes. Add the apples to the pan, and sprinkle on the cinnamon and nutmeg. Cook for 2 minutes, then add the chicken back to the pan. Pour the chicken broth into the pan and cook another 2 minutes, until the broth reduces and thickens. Stir occasionally to coat the chicken, apples and squash in the sauce.
- Divide among 4 plates, and top with the crispy bacon.
Inspired by Well Plated
Discover more #SundaySupper Easy Skillet Recipes!
Favorite Skillet Breakfasts
- Sweet Potato, Bacon, and Egg Skillet by Positively Stacey
Favorite Skillet Sides
- Crispy Roasted Sweet Potatoes by Home Sweet Homestead
Favorite Skillet Entrees
- Alex’s Favorite Skillet Meal by The Freshman Cook
- Apple, Squash and Chicken Skillet by The Redhead Baker
- Black Bean and Rice Skillet by Wholistic Woman
- Chakchouka (Tunisian Eggs in Tomato Sauce) by Curious Cuisiniere
- Chili Joes by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- How to cook ChopSuey Vegetable Stir Fry with Beef by Asian In America
- Clean Eating Hamburger Helper Skillet by A Mind Full Mom
- Creamy Paprika Chicken & Peppers by My Life Cookbook
- Easy Pink Pasta Skillet by Family Foodie
- Easy Skillet Lasagna by New South Charm
- Greek Turkey Spinach Skillet by Cooking Chat
- Hatch Chile Shakshuka by Helpful Homemade
- Healthy Vegetable Skillet Dinner by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Huevos Rancheros by The Hungry Goddess
- Japanese Korean Tofu Sliders by The Ninja Baker
- Healthy Kielbasa, Brussels Sprouts, Potato & Pear Skillet by Food Done Light
- Kung Pao Chicken by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Lemon Fettuccine Alfredo with Chicken and Vegetables by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Loaded Skillet White Pesto Pizza by Crazed Mom
- One Pan Taco Rice Skillet by The Chef Next Door
- One Pot Beef Stroganoff by My World Simplified
- Pork and Sweet Potato Hash by The Bitter Side of Sweet
- Pork with Gingered Pluots by Palatable Pastime
- Salsa Chicken Skillet by Bottom Left of the Mitten
- Sautéed Gnocchi with Pomodo Crudo by What Smells So Good?
- Smothered Potatoes and Sausage by Sunday Supper Movement
- Spanish Rice and Beef Skillet Dinner by Meal Planning Magic
- Spicy Sausage Pasta Skillet by Caroline’s Cooking
- Summer Squash Frittata by Pies and Plots
- Tamale Pie by Monica’s Table
- Unstuffed Cabbage Roll Skillet by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Veggie-Packed Sloppy Joes by Powered By BLING
- Yellow Rice Skillet by Cricket’s Confections
Favorite Skillet Desserts
- Fudgy Skillet Brownies by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Skillet Cookie by The Crumby Cupcake
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.