If you're in the Philadelphia area, and have no plans for this Saturday, July 10th, come to the Manayunk section of the city for the 4th Annual "PAWS in Manayunk"!
PAWS stands for Philadelphia Animal Welfare Society, Philadelphia's only no-kill rescue. It's at Main and Levering Streets from noon to 5 p.m. and features adoptable dogs AND cats from various shelters and rescues in and around the city (not just from PAWS). There will be a pet parade led by Citizens for a No Kill Philadelphia, an agility demo by Opportunity Barks, a charity dog wash, and vendors selling pet-related items . . . including me, selling dog biscuits, training treats, and pupcakes! All human-grade ingredients, no preservatives. Does your dog have allergies to wheat, chicken, or corn? Not a problem. I have allergy-friendly options.
One of the treats I'll be offering at PAWS in Manayunk will be Banana Biscotti. If you aren't able to make it to the event, you can make them yourself at home! (And if your dog is anything like mine, he'll be glued to the oven until he gets a taste!)
- 5 cups flour
- ¼ cup peanuts, chopped
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1 ½ cups very ripe banana, pureed
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- Preheat oven to 325F.
- Place dry ingredients in large bowl. Make a well in the center.
- Blend egg, oil and banana together. Add into the dry ingredinets in well.
- Start combining together. Add water, one teaspoon at a time as needed. Knead by hand on table until mixed thoroughly.
- Form into logs approximately 2" - 2 ½" high. Flatten so that log is 6" - 7" wide by 1" high.
- Place on non-stick baking sheets or lightly greased ones. Bake 30 - 40 minutes.
- Remove and cool for 10 minutes. Slice into ½" - ¾" slices.
- Place upright on baking sheets and bake for about 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool. Store in airtight container.