This post is sponsored by in conjunction with AppleWeek. I received product samples from sponsor companies to aid in the creation of the AppleWeek recipes. All opinions are mine alone.
This caramel apple crumb cake has several delicious layers: light and fluffy cake, tender cinnamon apples, soft crumb topping, and creamy caramel glaze.
Welcome to AppleWeek, Day 2. In case you missed yesterday’s post, I’m teaming up with nearly 50 other bloggers to celebrate all things apple, and we have a giveaway with SEVEN winners! Click on over to Sunday’s post to read all about the prizes and enter the giveaway.
Today, I’m sharing a variation on classic crumb cake. This cake has four delicious layers: light and fluffy cake, tender cinnamon-coated apples, soft crumb topping, and buttery caramel glaze.
Make sure you use a deep-dish cake pan to make this recipe, because there is quite a bit of batter. If you’re not sure, but your cake pan on your oven’s top rack, and a baking sheet to catch any drips on the second rack.
Also, rather than use a different bowl for each of the first three layers of this cake, I just used the same bowl for each one. For the caramel sauce, you can use store-bought (the real stuff, please, not caramel ice cream topping), or make your own.
I love crumb cakes at brunch, or on holiday mornings, particularly when you need to serve a crowd. The apples make it perfect for autumn or winter holiday breakfasts.
Also, the cake can be made a day ahead of time and either briefly re-warmed in a 300 degree oven, or served at room temperature. Just don’t add the caramel sauce until just before you’re ready to serve.
Products from Amazon.com
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup buttermilk, room temperature
Cinnamon Apple Filling:
- 2 Envy apples, peeled, cored and chopped to about 1/2-inch pieces
- 6 tbsp unsalted butter, softened
- 2 tbsp cinnamon
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter melted
- 3 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup caramel sauce
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a13x9 baking dish with parchment paper and set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, use the paddle attachment to whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt until combined.
- Beat in the softened butter into the flour mixture until combined and resembles sandy crumbs.
- Add in eggs, vanilla and buttermilk and beat until fully combined. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and spread evenly with a spatula.
- In a small bowl, stir together the flour, sugar and cinnamon. Using a fork, mash the softened butter into the flour mixture until soft crumbs form. Toss with the apples.
- Sprinkle the cinnamon apple mixture evenly over the cake batter and lightly press into the cake batter with a spatula. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix sugar with cinnamon and salt. Add in the melted butter and combine using a fork. Once the butter is fully combined, add the flour and mix with a fork or using your hands until fully combined.
- Sprinkle streusel topping over the cinnamon apple layer until evenly distributed. You may not need all of the crumb mixture.
- Bake cake in a 350 degree oven for about 45-50 minutes, until fully baked. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- Just before serving, gently warm the caramel sauce in a microwave just until pourable. Use a fork or spoon to drizzle over the cake.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 1 Serving Size: serving
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 679 Saturated Fat: 17g Cholesterol: 104mg Sodium: 243mg Carbohydrates: 99g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 49g Protein: 7g
Monday’s AppleWeek Recipes:
- Apple & Lentil Andouille Crockpot Stew by Faith, Hope, Love & Luck
- Apples and Chai Smoothie by Our Good Life
- Apple Cider Cutout Cookies by Kate’s Recipe Box
- Apple Cider Pancakes by Family Around the Table
- Apple Cinnamon Cake by Girl Abroad
- Apple Cinnamon Pull Aparts by The Freshman Cook
- Apple Cinnamon Sugar Cookies by Love and Confections
- Apple Crepes by Caroline’s Cooking
- Apple Crisp Ebelskivers by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Apple Fritter Monkey Bread by Mildly Meandering
- Apple Herb Stuffed Pork Chops by West Via Midwest
- Apple Pie Turnovers by The Bitter Side of Sweet
- Apple Pudding by The Anthony Kitchen
- Apple Raisin Oatmeal Cookies by The Monday Box
- Apple Scones with Maple Sugar Butter by Strawberry Blondie Kitchen
- Apple Stuffed Chicken Breast by Seduction in the Kitchn
- Apple Upside Down Cake by Lemon Blossoms
- Appledoodle Cookies by Cookaholic Wife
- Applesauce Coffee Cake by An Affair from the Heart
- Applesauce Muffins by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Baked Apple Donuts by Corn, Beans, Pigs and Kids
- Balsamic Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Apples by Simple and Savory
- Bourbon Apple Pecan Bread Pudding by Soulfully Made
- Caramel Apple Jam by Books n’ Cooks
- Gingersnapple Tart by Jolene’s Recipe Journal
- Chicken Salad Apple Bites by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Dutch Apple Cobbler with Cheesecake Topping by Who Needs a Cape?
- Dutch Apple Coffee Cake by Daily Dish Recipes
- German Apple Pancakes with Cider Syrup by House of Nash Eats
- Grilled Cheddar Cheese with Apples and Hatch Chile Hot Sauce by Culinary Adventures With Camilla
- One Pot Jamaican Jerk Chicken and Apples by Jonesin’ for Taste
- Oven Roasted Apple Butter by Savory Moments
- Pork Chops with Apples and Bacon by The Anthony Kitchen
- Salted Caramel Apple Crumble by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Savory Skillet Chicken and Apples by Cooking With Carlee
- Slow Cooker Pork with Apples by Palatable Pastime
- Sugar Free Apple Pie with Crumble Topping by Tip Garden
- Vegan Caramel Apple Galette by The Baking Fairy