The Easter Bunny will surely stop at your house if you make these adorable Carrot Patch Chocolate Cupcakes, topped with strawberries coated in orange-colored vanilla candy coating.
Happy, um, first full day of spring? I live in that 8 to 12-inch band there. This is our fourth nor’easter this season!
Oh, well, on to warmer thoughts! Easter isn’t too far away, so I’m joining a few other bloggers for #EasterWeek to share recipes for your holiday meal or other spring occasions! After you’ve checked out my chocolate cupcakes, scroll to the bottom of the post for links to more Easter Week recipes.
These adorable, easy-to-make cupcakes are perfect for your Easter dessert. The Easter Bunny will surely stop at your house to nibble on one. Rich chocolate cupcakes are topped with fudgy chocolate frosting, then topped with strawberries coated in orange-colored vanilla candy coating. “Grass” sprinkles are optional.
Vanilla candy coating wafers in a variety of colors are available at most craft stores and online. They are not as finicky as melting chocolate (they don’t seize up if a droplet of water gets into the bowl). The coating will set up (firm up) at room temperature in about 30 minutes or so, depending on a few factors like ambient temperature and the thickness of the coating.
To give the “carrots” some texture, I drizzled a few thin lines on top after the initial full coating had set. You can do this with a piping bag, with a heavy-duty plastic sandwich bag, or even just with the tines of a fork.
You can use any cupcake recipe (or boxed mix) you like. I went with chocolate cupcakes so the base would resemble soil, and used chocolate frosting for the same reason, and I shared the recipe I used below. It makes 3 cups of frosting, which allows for a generous layer of frosting on each cupcake. I used a closed-star piping tip for my frosting, but you don’t need to do the same. Any method of getting the frosting onto the cupcakes is fine. The “carrots” are the star here!
For the frosting
- 3 1/2 cups confectioners sugar
- 1 cup dark chocolate cocoa powder
- 12 tbsp unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup milk, at room temperature
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
For the "carrots"
- 12 oz orange-colored vanilla melting wafers
- 24 strawberries, cleaned and dry
- 24 chocolate cupcakes
- Easter sprinkles, if desired
- Sift the confectioners sugar and cocoa powder into a large bowl.
- Add the butter, milk and vanilla. Beat on low speed until all of the sugar is absorbed, then beat on medium-high speed until light and fluffy.
- Pipe a generous swirl of chocolate frosting onto each cupcake. Set aside.
- Melt the vanilla wafers in a microwave or over a double boiler.
- Dip each strawberry in the melted coating, shake off excess, and set on wax or parchment paper to dry.
- Once dry, use a spoon or the tines of a fork to drip thin lines of melted vanilla coating over the "carrots."
- Coat each frosted cupcake in sprinkles, and place a "carrot" on each cupcake. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator if not serving immediately.
OXO Good Grips Non-Stick Pro Muffin Pan
Norpro 249 Stainless Steel Double Boiler 1.5-Quart
Wilton Orange Candy Melts, 12-Ounce
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn a small percentage from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24 cupcakes Serving Size: 1 cupcake
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 239 Total Fat: 12g Saturated Fat: 7g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 4g Cholesterol: 19mg Sodium: 28mg Carbohydrates: 32g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 28g Protein: 2g
Frosting recipe by Martha Stewart
Wednesday Easter Week Recipes
- Braised Rabbit with Fennel and Salsa Verde by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Carrot Cake Cheesecake by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Carrot Patch Chocolate Cupcakes by The Redhead Baker (recipe above)
- Citrus Tarragon Asparagus Salad by Jolene’s Recipe Journal
- Easter Egg Bread Ring by Everyday Eileen
- Easy Easter Candy Bark by Daily Dish Recipes
- Easy Sauteed Lemon Asparagus by Jonesin’ For Taste
- Funfetti Cake Mix Cookies by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Individual Warm Chocolate Truffle Cakes by Family Around the Table
- Lemon Coconut Bars by Cookaholic Wife
- Lemon Raspberry Bundt Cake by The Redhead Baker
- Pancetta Brussels Sprouts by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Pineapple Carrot Cake Cupcakes by Faith, Hope, Love, & Luck Survive Despite a Whiskered Accomplice
- Polish White Borscht – Bialy Barszcz by All that’s Jas
- Turkey Ham Potato Chowder by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings