This post is sponsored in conjunction with Christmas Cookies Week. I received product samples from sponsor companies to aid in the creation of the Christmas Cookies Week recipes. All opinions are mine alone.
This post contains affiliate links.
Meringue cookies are naturally fat- and gluten-free. Stiff meringue can also be piped into shapes, like these Christmas Tree meringue cookies.
It's the final day of Christmas Cookies Week! I hope you've gotten a few ideas for your Christmas cookie baking, both here and from the other participating bloggers.
Don't forget to scroll down to enter to win one of the great prize packs from our sponsors (details of the prizes are in Monday's post).
These Christmas tree meringue cookies turned out a bit more ... abstract ... than I had been envisioning, most likely because my meringue was not stiff enough. It really needs to be nearly to the point of breaking in order to hold the Christmas tree shape.
But still, they are pretty, and more importantly, they taste fantastic! I added a touch of peppermint extract to mine, but vanilla extract or almond would also taste great.
As with any recipe that involves whipping egg whites, your mixing bowl and beaters must be absolutely clean (no traces of fat or oil) and dry before you begin. Always tap your egg on a flat surface (never the edge of your mixing bowl) to crack it. Because it takes so long to whip egg whites into a very stiff meringue, I highly recommend using a stand mixer rather than a hand mixer.
How do you know if your meringue is stiff enough? When you lift the beater out of the meringue, a peak will form where the beater separated from the mixture. The peak of a stiff meringue will not fall over at the top. If you're looking for a very stiff meringue, you should be able to turn the bowl sideways (or even upside down, briefly) and the meringue won't move.
This isn't a recipe you'll want to double. Meringue requires a long, low bake in order to dry out. The bonus is, because these cookies don't spread, you can fit more on a baking sheet than a typical drop-style cookie.
[amazon_link asins='B00005UP2P,B005PP9ACY,B07329JDNR,B0000VLEDQ,B0049C2S32,B00008T960' template='ProductCarousel' store='theredheadbak-20' marketplace='US' link_id='46a639d5-f9d1-11e8-9a9d-0d93a0c73433']
- 4 egg whites, from large eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract, or vanilla or almond
- Green gel food coloring
- Sprinkle Pop Burgundy Sprinkle Mix
- Preheat oven to 225 degrees. Line two baking sheets with Silpat silicone baking mats.
- Place the egg whites in the clean, dry mixing bowl of a stand mixer. Beat on medium-high speed until foamy.
- Sprinkle the cream of tartar over the egg whites and continue beating until incorporated.
- Gradually start adding the sugar, and continue beating until all the sugar is mixed in.
- Turn the speed to high and whip until the meringue is very stiff (the peak formed when the beater is raised should not fall over).
- Add the peppermint extract and a few drops of food coloring. Whip until the meringue is evenly colored.
- Fit a piping bag with a large star tip, and fill halfway with the meringue.
- Pipe into tall swirls on the prepared baking sheets. Sprinkle with SprinklePop mix, including one large ball on top of each mound.
- Bake for 45 minutes.
- Rotate pans 180 degrees, and switch top pan to bottom rack and vice versa.
- Continue baking another 30 minutes, or until the meringue is dry and the cookies peel cleanly from the baking mat.
- Turn off the oven and leave the baking sheets in the oven until completely cool.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 1 Serving Size: cookie
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 35Sodium: 8mgCarbohydrates: 8gSugar: 8g
More #ChristmasCookiesWeek Recipes
- Chocolate-Dipped Almond Biscotti by House of Nash Eats
- Andes Mint Cookies by Daily Dish Recipes
- Brownie Cookies by Books n' Cooks
- Bubble Light Sugar Cookies by A Kitchen Hoor's Adventures
- Chocolate Cutout Sugar Cookies by Everyday Eileen
- Chocolate Dipped Chocolate Madeleines by Family Around The Table
- Christmas Ornament Cookies by Karen's Kitchen Stories
- Classic No Bake Cookies by Corn, Beans, Pigs & Kids
- Eggnog Snickerdoodle Cookies with Eggnog Glaze by Love and Confections
- Figgy Pudding Thumbprints by Cindy's Recipes and Writings
- Frosted Chocolate Cherry Almond Bars by YumGoggle
- Cream Cheese Buttons with a Dark Chocolate Drizzle by Kate's Recipe Box
- Gingerbread Cookie Stars by The Freshman Cook
- Holiday Lights Sugar Cookies by Palatable Pastime
- Lemon Snowdrops by Jolene's Recipe Journal
- Merry Moose Cookies by Strawberry Blondie Kitchen
- Not Your Grandma’s Sugar Cookies by Girl Abroad
- Ooey, Gooey Gingerbread Bars by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Pecan Shortbread Trees by Red Cottage Chronicles
- Perfectly Soft Chocolate Chip Cookies by Tip Garden
- Peppermint Meltaway Cookies by Soulfully Made
- Sour Cream Cookies by Grumpy's Honeybunch
- Sour Cream Cut Out Cookies by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Spiced Chocolate Cut Out Cookies with Marble Glaze by The Baking Fairy
- Sweet Potato Pie Cookies by Kelly Lynn's Sweets and Treats
- Whoville Christmas Wreath Sugar Cookies by Faith, Hope, Love, & Luck Survive Despite a Whiskered Accomplice
Disclaimer: Thank you #ChristmasCookiesWeek sponsors: Adams Extract, Sprinkle Pop, YumGoggle and Silpat for providing the prizes free of charge. The #ChristmasCookiesWeek giveaway is open to U.S. residents, age 18 & up. All entries for the winner will be checked and verified. By entering you give the right to use your name and likeness. The number of entries received determines the odds of winning. Four (4) winners will be selected at random from entries received. The prize packages will be fulfilled by and sent directly from the giveaway sponsors. #ChristmasCookiesWeek bloggers are not responsible for the fulfillment or delivery of the prize packages. Bloggers hosting this giveaway and their immediate family members in their household are not eligible to enter or win the giveaway. No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law. This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter or any other social channel mentioned in the #ChristmasCookiesWeek posts or entry.