This fudgy chocolate bundt cake is all the things a chocolate cake should be: rich, dense, moist, and intensely chocolate-flavored, and covered in a light coating of white chocolate ganache.
I have been a chocoholic just about my entire life, likely ever since my grandmother stuck a Kit Kat in my mouth two weeks after I was born (no exaggeration — I swear!).
Finding a great chocolate cake recipe is not as easy as you might think. Either they're dry, or they're not chocolatey enough. This chocolate bundt cake is everything that a chocolate cake should be, so it's perfect for celebrating National Chocolate Cake Day.
One thing to be aware of is that a cake like this could stick to the pan after it's baked. Trust me, my first attempt at this cake was a complete failure because the entire top half of the cake stuck in the pan while the bottom half came out. To prevent that, spray liberally with nonstick cooking spray, then coat the pan with cocoa powder. Unlike flour, the cocoa powder won't leave a dusty coating on the rich brown cake.
After the cake is baked, let it cool a few minutes right-side up to firm up, then flip it over and let it sit another few minutes to allow gravity to help loosen the cake from the pan.
This is a great cake to make for a crowd, as the large cake serves 18 to 20. It can be made ahead, left un-iced, and stored at room temperature. Coat with the icing an hour or so before serving.
If you wanted to make it even more chocolate-y, you could add chocolate chips to the batter. If you don't want to bother with the icing, the cake would be just as delicious with a light dusting of confectioners sugar.
[amazon_link asins='B003JHTCKU,B00852ZH80,B005IZSKXG,B00030CGKY,B00YEYL8T0,B075SLGY6V' template='ProductCarousel' store='theredheadbak-20' marketplace='US' link_id='029a0eea-0314-11e8-b2ed-1513d48c6d5a']
For the cake
- 1 cup brewed coffee
- 16 tbsp unsalted butter
- ¾ cup Dutch-process cocoa powder
- 2 cups sugar
- ¾ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ¾ tsp salt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup sour cream
For the icing
- 6 ounces white chocolate, finely chopped, use best-quality
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- To make the cake: Place the coffee, butter, and cocoa in a small saucepan or microwave-safe bowl. Heat, stirring, until the butter melts. Remove from the heat, and whisk until smooth. Let the mixture cool for 10 minutes.
- While the chocolate is cooling, put the sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and flour into a mixing bowl, whisking to combine.
- Pour the cooled chocolate mixture into the bowl with the dry ingredients, and mix until thoroughly combined. Scrape the bottom and sides of the bowl, and mix again to incorporate any residue.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the vanilla, eggs, and sour cream or yogurt. Mix into the chocolate batter, stirring until thoroughly combined.
- Thoroughly grease a 10- to 12-cup Bundt pan, preferably non-stick. Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake the cake for 50 to 55 minutes, until a long toothpick or skewer inserted into the center comes out clean. Note: a pan with a dark interior will bake the cake more quickly; start checking at about 40 minutes.
- Remove the cake from the oven, wait 5 minutes, and turn the pan over onto a cooling rack. After 5 more minutes, lift the pan off the cake. Let the cake cool completely before icing.
- Place the chopped white chocolate in a small mixing bowl.
- Place the cream in a small saucepan. Set over medium-low heat, and bring just to scalding.
- Pour the hot cream over the chocolate and let stand for 1 minute, then stir until smooth.
- Pour the icing over the cake and let it drip down the sides.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 286Saturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 49mgSodium: 125mgCarbohydrates: 36gFiber: 1gSugar: 25gProtein: 3g
Slightly adapted from King Arthur Flour
Discover more delicious chocolate cake recipes!
- Jolene's Recipe Journal: Best Chocolate Cake Ever!
- A Day in the Life on the Farm: Chocolate Mug Cake
- Amy's Cooking Adventures: Small Batch Chocolate Cupcakes
- The Redhead Baker: Fudgy Chocolate Bundt Cake
- Cindy's Recipes and Writings: Chocolate Mocha Cream Cake
- Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks: Chocolate Hazelnut Cake
- Culinary Adventures with Camilla: Double Chocolate Cake with Whiskey Ganache
- Palatable Pastime: Flourless Chocolate Cake
- Cooking With Carlee: Chocolate Banana Cupcakes
- Soulfully Made: Chocolate Cake with Whipped Oreo Icing