Peanut butter mousse parfaits are decadent yet light, fancy yet approachable. Creamy peanut butter mousse is layered with chocolate cookie crumbs for textural interest.
Happy National Peanut Butter Day! To celebrate, I teamed up with some fellow bloggers to bring you some delicious peanut butter recipes. Once you're done checking out these peanut butter mousse parfaits, don't forget to scroll down to the bottom of the post for links to more peanut butter recipes.
Years ago, I used to work as an assistant pastry chef at a fine dining restaurant in the suburbs of Philadelphia. We had a few "standard" dessert items, and then a few more that changed every few weeks. Peanut butter parfaits were one of our temporary desserts.
I don't even exactly remember what went in the layer between the peanut butter mousse at that restaurant. I think it might have been topped with crumbled up peanut brittle, which I'm not a fan of eating. So, I made up my own version.
The peanut butter mousse is a blend of peanut butter, cream cheese, sugar and vanilla, lightened with whipped cream. I chose to layer my mousse with chocolate wafer cookie crumbs, but you could also use brownie bits, crumbled chocolate cake, chocolate custard, etc.
Top with more sweetened whipped cream, and more crumbs (cookie, brownie, cake, whatever) or chopped Reese's peanut butter cup minis. Here's a tip: the easiest way to chop these is when they are partially frozen. Pop a few in the freezer for about an hour, then chop with a sharp chef's knife.
These parfaits look fancy, and since it makes two servings, it would be perfect for Valentine's Day dessert. The flavor is decadent, but the whipped cream makes the texture light. But at the same time, the flavors are familiar, so it doesn't "feel" fancy.
- ½ cup creamy peanut butter
- ½ cup cream cheese, at room temperature
- ½ cup confectioners sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream, chilled
- 10 chocolate wafer cookies, crushed
- 3 Reese's peanut butter cup minis, chopped
- Sweetened whipped cream, for garnish
- In a medium mixing bowl, beat together the peanut butter, cream cheese, confectioners sugar and vanilla extract. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whip the heavy cream to medium- to stiff-peaks.
- Transfer a quarter of the whipped cream to the peanut butter mixture and beat in until combined.
- Transfer half of the remaining whipped cream to the peanut butter mixture and gently fold in. Repeat with the remaining half.
- Spoon some of the peanut butter mousse into each of four 4-ounce mason jars, then layer on some of the chocolate cookie crumbs. Repeat with another layer of mousse, another layer of crumbs, and a final layer of mousse.
- Cover with a layer of plastic wrap and chill until ready to serve. Just before serving, garnish each mason jar with sweetened whipped cream, and some chopped Reese's peanut butter cup minis.
If you can't find chocolate wafer cookies, you can substitute 5 full sheets of chocolate graham crackers.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn a small percentage from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 566Total Fat: 42gSaturated Fat: 17gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 17gCholesterol: 70mgSodium: 326mgCarbohydrates: 39gFiber: 3gSugar: 25gProtein: 11g
I am not a certified nutritionist. This nutrition information is automatically calculated by third party software and is meant as a guideline only.
Discover more peanut butter recipes!
- 3 Healthy Peanut Butter Smoothies by Bear & Bug Eats
- Chicken Satay with Spicy Peanut Dipping Sauce by Everyday Eileen
- Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Marshmallow Cookies by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Balls by The Freshman Cook
- E.T. Cookies by Karen's Kitchen Stories
- Easy Peanut Butter & Chocolate Swirled Fudge by Cookaholic Wife
- Easy Peanut Butter and Banana Croissants by Jonesin' For Taste
- Fluffer Nutter Macaron by A Kitchen Hoor's Adventures
- My Family's Favorite Peanut Butter Cookie (recipe remake) by Family Around the Table
- No Bake Peanut Butter Cup Pie by Soulfully Made
- Nutter Butter Ice Cream Cone Cookies by Amy's Cooking Adventures
- Peanut Butter & Chocolate Chip Granola Squares by Faith, Hope, Love, & Luck Survive Despite a Whiskered Accomplice
- Peanut Butter and Jelly Smoothie Bowl by Simple and Savory
- Peanut Butter Banana Overnight Oatmeal by Frugal Pantry
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Sheet Pan Pancakes by Kate's Recipe Box
- Peanut Butter Cream Cheese Spread by Cindy's Recipes and Writings
- Peanut Butter Mocha Cupcakes by Strawberry Blondie Kitchen
- Peanut Butter Mousse Parfaits by The Redhead Baker (recipe above)
- Peanut Butter Popcorn by The Gingered Whisk
- Peanut Butter Snowballs by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Peanut Ginger Pasta by Jolene's Recipe Journal
- Thai Inspired Noodles by A Day in the Life on the Farm