No time to fry some jalapeno poppers? Make these easy jalapeno popper stuffed mushrooms with all the spicy flavor you love from the original.
Welcome to Progressive Eats, our virtual version of a Progressive Dinner Party. I’m hosting this month, and each recipe in our menu this month features Tailgate Finger Food.
Football parties are ubiquitous this time of year, as the professional football season comes to an end. Whether you attend a party to watch the big game, the commercials, or just to enjoy the food, they’re always a fun time.
Personally, I’m not much of a football fan. You’re more likely to find me at a Puppy Bowl watching party than a football watching party. But if invited, I will attend, even if only for the food. Football food is typically greasy, high-fat, and delicious.
Jalapeno poppers are no exception. They can be time-consuming to make, with hollowing out each pepper, filling it, and wrapping it in bacon. These stuffed mushrooms, on the other hand, are much less intensive, but still have all the delicious flavor.
Try to find mushrooms that are approximately the same size, so that they bake evenly. If you don’t have a small scoop to fill the mushrooms, you can use a teaspoon or a tablespoon (depending on the size of your mushrooms).
You can control the spice level by how much of the jalapeno pepper’s ribs you remove. The more you remove, the less heat in your mushrooms. If you really love spicy food, use two jalapeno peppers instead of one!
- 24 whole baby bella mushrooms
- 2 slices thick cut bacon
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and finely diced
- Pinch of salt
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 3 tablespoons shredded cheddar cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup panko bread crumbs
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with tin foil.
- Remove the stems from the mushrooms. Set the caps aside.
- Chop the stems, and mix with the jalapeno peppers.
- Cook the bacon in a skillet over medium-high heat until crispy.
- Remove to a paper-towel lined plate, reserving the rendered fat in the skillet.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low, and add the mushroom/pepper mix to the skillet along with the minced garlic. Season with salt. Cook for about 3 minutes, until the mushroom stems and peppers are softened.
- Place the cream cheese and shredded cheddar in a bowl; add the mushroom stems, peppers and garlic, and mix to combine.
- Brush the mushroom caps with olive oil and season with salt and pepper and place cap-side down on the prepared baking sheet. Use a small scoop to stuff each mushroom with the mushroom/pepper/cheese mixture. Top each with a pinch of bread crumbs.
- Bake for 20 minutes, until the mushroom caps start to release their juices.
Swiss Diamond ST6728c Swiss Titan Nonstick Saute Pan 4.3 quart With Lid, Gray, 11"
Nordic Ware Natural Aluminum Commercial Baker's Half Sheet (2 Pack), Silver
Norpro Stainless Steel Scoop, 25MM (.5 Tablespoon)
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn a small percentage from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24 mushrooms Serving Size: 1 mushroom
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 26 Total Fat: 2g Saturated Fat: 1g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 1g Cholesterol: 5mg Sodium: 60mg Carbohydrates: 1g Fiber: 0g Sugar: 0g Protein: 1g
If you’re unfamiliar with the concept, a progressive dinner involves going from house to house, enjoying a different course at each location. With Progressive Eats it’s a virtual party. A theme is chosen each month, members share recipes suitable for a delicious meal or party, and you can hop from blog to blog to check them out. Come along and see all of the delicious holiday dishes!
Tailgate Finger FoodAppetizers
- Cheese Straw Tomato Tartlets – That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Cherry Red Wine Baked Turkey Meatballs – The Heritage Cook
- Pork and Ginger Potstickers – Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Nacho Momma’s Beef, Bean and Cheese Tortilla Dip – Creative Culinary
- Jalapeno Popper Stuffed Mushrooms – The Redhead Baker
- No Butter or Shortening Date Nut Bars – Mother Would Know