Lemon meringue cheesecake combines the best of two desserts: the creamy richness of cheesecake with the toasty meringue topping of lemon meringue pie.Welcome to #LemonWeek 2022 hosted by Lynn from Fresh April Flours and Rebecca from Devour Dinner. This week is sponsored by Rodelle and La Tourangelle. I may have received product samples from these sponsors to help in the creation of my recipes. All opinions are my own. Come join me and my fellow Lemon Week bloggers as we bring you recipes from appetizers to drinks to entrées and desserts!
#LemonWeek Giveaway Prizes
Prize #1: Rodelle Prize Pack
Rodelle Prize Pack includes:
- 2 count Gourmet Madagascar Vanilla Beans
- 2oz Almond Extract
- 4oz Natural Baker’s Extract
- 4oz Vanilla Paste
- 8oz Gourmet Vanilla Extract
- 25oz Organic Baking Cocoa
Prize #2: La Tourangelle Prize Pack
La Tourangelle Prize Pack includes:
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Roasted Walnut Oil
- Regenerative Sunflower Oil
- 4oz Vanilla Paste
- Fleur de Sel Almond Butter
Terms and conditions: This #LemonWeek is sponsored by Rodelle and La Tourangelle which starts 5/23/2022 and ends 6/3/2022 at 11:59pm ET. Enter to win a prize pack from Rodelle or La Tourangelle that include baking and cooking ingredients. This giveaway is open to anyone 18 years or older in the United States. All entries for the winner will be checked and verified. By entering you give the right to use your name and likeness. The number of entries received determines the odds of winning. Two (2) winners will be selected and sent prize packages directly from the giveaway sponsors. The #LemonWeek bloggers are not responsible for the fulfillment or delivery of the prize packages. Bloggers hosting this giveaway and their immediate family members in their household cannot enter or win the giveaway. No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law. This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter or any other social channel mentioned in the #LemonWeek posts or entry.
#LemonWeek Giveaway Entrya Rafflecopter giveaway
About Lemon Meringue Cheesecake
This is a small, 6-inch cheesecake, perfect for dessert for two (with leftovers!) or a small party. It has a basic, buttery graham cracker crust, topped with lemon-flavored cheesecake, lemon curd, and a toasted meringue topping.
You'll need a tall 6-inch springform pan (6 inches in diameter, 3 inches tall is a good size). You can use homemade lemon curd, or use storebought. I usually see jars of lemon curd either in the baking aisle, with the pie fillings, or in the jams/preserves aisle.
The crust is made of three ingredients.
- Graham cracker crumbs: there are boxes of crumbs in the baking aisle, or crush full sheets of graham crackers. Seven to eight full sheets of graham crackers will yield 1 cup of crumbs.
- Sugar: why sugar, if there's already some in the graham crackers? Because during baking, the sugar melts and binds the crust together.
- Unsalted butter, melted
Now, on to the filling. For a smooth, lump-free filling, make sure ALL of your ingredients are at room temperature before mixing. And scrape the bowl often!
- Cream cheese - preferably full-fat, but ⅓-less-fat works, too. Don't use fat-free.
- Eggs - large
- Heavy cream or half-and-half
- Lemon - we'll use both zest and juice. Zest your lemon before juicing it.
And finally, the meringue topping:
- One egg white (from one large egg)
- Vanilla extract
Make the crust first, so that it has time to cool before adding the filling. Mix together the graham cracker crumbs and the sugar, and moistening everything with the melted butter. Press it into the bottom and up the sides of the springform pan.
The first trick to a smooth, lump-free filling is to have all of your ingredients at room temperature before mixing.
The second trick is to scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl often. This ensures that there are no lumps of cream cheese clinging to the bowl and not getting mixed with the eggs.
If you want to, you can bake the cheesecake in a water bath, but you don't have to. To prevent cracking while the cheesecake is cooling, run a paring knife or offset spatula around the edge to loosen the cheesecake from the springform pan.
I mentioned the springform pan earlier. I use a stand mixer, but a hand mixer will work just fine. You'll need a microplane grater to zest your lemon.
If you want to bake in a water bath, you'll need a larger cake pan or roasting pan.
And finally, don't forget the butane kitchen torch for toasting the meringue!
Ideally, refrigerate the cheesecake before adding the meringue topping. Wait until shortly before serving to whip the meringue and toast it.
Store leftovers in the refrigerator, wrapped loosely with plastic wrap for 2 to 3 days. Much longer than that, and the meringue will weep and deflate.
Lemon Meringue Cheesecake
Lemon meringue cheesecake combines the best of two desserts: the creamy richness of cheesecake with the toasty meringue topping of lemon meringue pie.
For the crust
- 1 cup (3.5 oz/99 g) graham cracker crumbs
- 3 tablespoons (1.5 oz/43 g) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon (.45 oz/13 g) sugar
For the filling
- 16 oz (454 g) cream cheese, room temperature
- ¾ cup (5.25 oz/150 g) sugar
- 2 tablespoons (30 mL) lemon juice
- Zest of 1 lemon
- ¼ cup (60 mL) heavy cream
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
For the topping
- 4 ounces (114 g) lemon curd (store bought or homemade)
For the meringue
- 1 large egg white
- 2 tablespoons (.9 oz/26 g) sugar
- ½ teaspoon (2.5 mL) vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F (160 degrees C).
- In a small bowl, combine the graham cracker crumbs, sugar and butter. Stir until all the crumbs are moistened.
- Press into the bottom and partially up the sides of a 6-inch springform pan.
- Place the springform pan on a baking sheet and bake for 5 minutes.
- Let the crust cool while you mix the cheesecake filling.
- With the paddle attachment on medium speed, beat the cream cheese until smooth. While continuing to beat, gradually add in the sugar and beat for 2 minutes.
- Add the cream, lemon zest and lemon juice, and beat until fully incorporated. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl.
- Beat in the eggs one at at time, scraping down the sides of the bowl between additions.
- Pour the batter into the crust. Place the pan on the baking sheet back in the oven and bake for 60 to 70 minutes, until the cheesecake just barely jiggles in the center when you gently shake the baking sheet.
- Place the springform pan on a wire rack to cool. Run an offset spatula or paring knife around the edge of the cheesecake to loosen it from the pan to prevent cracks.
- Once cool, spread the lemon curd on top of the cheesecake. Chill for at least 4 hours.
- About an hour before serving, take the cheesecake out of the refrigerator and let sit at room temperature. Meanwhile, make the meringue: beat the egg white until foamy. Gradually beat in the sugar, then the vanilla and continue beating to stiff peaks.
- Dollop the meringue over the cheesecake. Toast the peaks with a kitchen torch. Serve as soon as possible.
See my Lemon Curd Recipe for how to make it at home.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn a small percentage from qualifying purchases.
KitchenAid 6 Qt. Professional Bowl-Lift Stand Mixer
Citrus Lemon Zester & Cheese Microplane Grater by AdeptChef
Wilton Aluminum 6-Inch Springform Pan
Stainless Steel Wire Cooling Rack
Ateco Professional Offset Spatula Set
Sondiko Refillable Butane Torch with Safety Lock and Adjustable Flame—Butane Gas Is Not Included
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 376Total Fat: 28gSaturated Fat: 16gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 168mgSodium: 502mgCarbohydrates: 14gFiber: 0gSugar: 11gProtein: 18g
I am not a certified nutritionist. This nutrition information is automatically calculated by third party software and is meant as a guideline only.
Friday #LemonWeek Recipes
- Lemon Poppy Seed Loaf by Fresh April Flours
- Grilled Chicken Piccata by Palatable Pastime
- Creamy Lemon Smoothie Recipe by Blogghetti
- Gluten Free Lemon Bars by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Lemon Tarragon Salmon by Art Of Natural Living
- Meyer Lemon Vanilla Shortbread Cookies by Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Lemon Poppy Seed Thumb Print Cookies by Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Lemon Pasta by Devour Dinner
- Lemon Blueberry Cookies by Best Cookie Recipes
- Lemon Tea Bread by The Freshman Cook
- Homemade Lemon Cake by Simply Inspired Meals
- Italian Lemon Ricotta Cake by The Fresh Cooky
- LLemony Shrimp Pasta by A Day In The Life On The Farm
- Rosemary Watermelon Lemonade by The Spiffy Cookie
- Lemon Crumb Muffins with Lemon Glaze by An Affair From The Heart
- Lemon Poppy Seed Cake by Kathryn’s Kitchen Blog
- Ina Garten's Lemon Chicken by Jen Around The World
- Lemon Ice Cream by Lemon Blossoms
- Lemon Sour Cream Pound Cake by Home Cooked Harvest
- Grilled Lemon Herb Flatbread by That Recipe
- Oven Baked Lemon Pepper Chicken and Gnocchi by Jonesin’ For A Taste
- Dragonfruit Lemonade by Magical Ingredients