|This recipe is "Owen-approved."|
I made this dog-safe cake back in March, for my Labrador Retriever's 2nd birthday. Yes, I'm one of "those" dog people. So, since I've been living on take-out these past few days, and don't have any human recipes to blog about, I figured I'd post this. Hopefully, the doggies of some of my blog readers will enjoy it!
If your dog is allergic to wheat, you can substitute an equal amount of brown rice flour for the whole wheat flour.
I found this on www.dog-treat-recipe-exchange.com. This recipe works well as a one-layer 8-inch cake, or as "pupcakes," individual cakes baked in paper liners.
Peanut Butter Delight
Source: Dog Treat Recipe Exchange
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ cup peanut butter
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup honey
- 1 egg
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray an 8-inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray, or line a cupcake pan with paper liners.
- Mix the flour and baking soda. Add the peanut butter, oil, carrots, vanilla and honey; mix well. This will be a very STIFF dough.
- Spread in cake pan or drop into cupcake liners.
- Bake 8-inch cake for 40 minutes. Check cupcakes after 20 minutes.
- "Frost" cake with low-fat cottage cheese or plain yogurt and decorate with carrot pieces, berries, pieces of kibble, and/or doggy treats. Store uneaten cake in refrigerator.
Tuesday 17th of November 2009
I think he likes it!