This swap's theme was BBQ/Warm Weather food. I received this recipe from Hezzi D's Books and Cooks, which was originally adapted from Annie's Eats (one of my favorite blogs!), who had adapted it from America's Test Kitchen Healthy Recipes Family Cookbook.
We are supposed to let the swap host know if there are any ingredients we cannot eat (due to allergies) or prefer not to eat. Beans are an ingredient I prefer not to eat, however, I'm trying not to be a picky eater, and I knew The Mister would really like these burgers, so I opted not to switch out my recipe.
I'm really glad I gave these a shot. I will definitely make them again.The inclusion of cumin gave these a flavor that reminded me of the refried beans at a local Mexican restaurant, and the cayenne pepper adds a subtle kick. Feel free to substitute your shredded cheese of choice — I just happened to have Cheddar on hand.
Black Bean Burgers
Slightly adapted from Hezzi D's Books and Cooks
Yield: 6 burgers
- ¾ cup panko bread crumbs
- ¾ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 2 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 2 (15-ounce) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, julienned
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 6 burger buns
- Stir together the panko bread crumbs and the Italian seasoning. Stir in 1 tablespoon of the olive oil and mix well; set aside.
- Place 2 ½ cups of the black beans in a large bowl and mash with a potato masher.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, cumin, salt, cayenne and black peppers, and the garlic.
- Combine the mashed beans, bread crumb mixture, egg mixture, remaining beans and the onions with clean hands until evenly distributed.
- Divide mixture into six patties. Form into burgers 1-inch thick. Heat the remaining tablespoon of olive oil over medium-high heat and cook the burgers until browned, about five to six minutes on each side. While cooking, preheat broiler to high and line a baking sheet with foil.
- Place bottom half of each burger bun on baking sheet. Place a burger patty on each bun, then place a few strips of red bell pepper atop each burger. Divide Cheddar cheese among burgers, and broil for about a minute, just until cheese melts. Top with other bun half.