It's recipe swap time again! Yeah, I know it's Monday, our posting day was delayed. This theme — "too hot to cook" — was perfectly timed, since the week after I got my assigned recipe, we got hit with a 6-day heat wave. I love summer as much as the next beach bum, but after four heatwaves . . . is it autumn yet?
When it's hot out, you don't want to add to the heat by turning on your stove top or oven. You could grill, if you own one. Which I don't. Darn apartment with no yard or patio.
So I've been relying heavily on my crockpot for meals. I always associated crockpots with stews and other rich, heavy "winter" dishes, but they are actually pretty versatile. They can cook a dish without radiating a lot of heat that in turn warms up your home (or apartment).
These Korean-style short ribs would be delicious in any season of the year. They are flavorful and SPICY. Like, sinus-clearing levels of spiciness. If you don't like that much spice, cut down on the red pepper flakes — the dish will not suffer for it. After a long, slow cook in the crockpot, the meat is so tender, it just about falls apart. Just be sure to keep a close eye on the meat after the 6-hour mark. Depending on how thick your short ribs are cut, they may cook faster and dry out if you let them go too long.
Modern Korean cuisine is typically served over white rice and accompanied by a number of vegetable side dishes. I chose to serve a simple side of microwave-steamed zucchini.
Korean Style Short Ribs
- 1 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 4 tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 3 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp fresh ginger, minced
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup water
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 2 ½ pounds boneless beef short ribs
- 2 green onions, sliced (optional)
- In a small bowl, mix together the soy sauce, brown sugar, sesame oil, red wine vinegar, fresh ginger, garlic and water. Add the red pepper flakes, ground ginger, and black pepper, and mix to combine.
- Pour half the sauce into a large (at least 6-quart) crockpot, add the short ribs in a single layer, then pour the remaining sauce over top.
- Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.
- Serve over rice, adding sliced green onions for garnish, if desired.