This rich and creamy strawberry shortcake milkshake has swirls of strawberry and cake-flavored milkshake. Top with a fresh farmers market strawberry and a cube of pound cake.
I was going to make a berry jelly roll cake for Farmers Market Week, but my oven isn't working! The burners on the stovetop work, but when you try to turn on the oven ... nothing happens. No heat.
But I had all these berries, and I didn't want to drop out of Farmers Market Week. After all, I love farmers markets! I love going to farmers markets, even if I don't buy anything. My husband thinks that's strange, but on his list of "Coleen's Weird Qualities," that probably doesn't even rank in the top ten, LOL.
So. No oven. No jelly roll cake. Lots of berries. What to do? I had vanilla ice cream in my freezer, and I thought of a mikshake. But not just a plain old strawberry milkshake. No, a strawberry shortcake milkshake!
Other recipes have you blend actual cake in with the ice cream, but I'm not a fan of soggy cake crumbs. I do, however, love cake mix blended into milkshakes. I had dreams of a strawberry- and cake-layered milkshake, just like the classic layered strawberry shortcake.
I may have had dreams, but I do not have patience to layer, freeze, layer, freeze, etc. Instead I ended up with a pretty swirled milkshake, which still tastes pretty darn-tootin' good. If you actually have the patience for layering, I've included those instructions in a note below the recipe.
Not a fan of strawberries? Substitute 1 cup of your favorite sliced fruit instead! Peach shortcake is almost as popular as the original strawberry; blueberries or cherries would also be delicious.
[amazon_link asins='B0019MLLCO,B00004RFMO,B0002ITQHS,B078X423Q5,B00I9JPQP8' template='ProductCarousel' store='theredheadbak-20' marketplace='US' link_id='6a4053ba-9aa2-11e8-bf1d-b997efd432cb']
For the strawberry milkshake
- 1 cup strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 cup vanilla ice cream
For the cake milkshake
- 1 cup vanilla ice cream
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup yellow cake mix
- Whipped cream
- Cubed pound cake
- Fresh strawberries
- Place the strawberries and milk in a blender. Puree on high speed until fully blended. Add 1 cup of the ice cream and blend on high speed just until fully combined.
- Pour into a 2-cup glass measuring cup and place in the freezer.
- Rinse out the blender and place the second cup of ice cream in the blender with the milk and the cake mix. Blend on high speed until no more cake mix is visible.
- Pour alternating layers of cake milkshake, then strawberry, then cake, then strawberry into each of two tall glasses.
- Garnish with whipped cream, a cube of pound cake, and a fresh strawberry, and serve immediately.
If you want the layers to stay separate and not swirl together, start with chilled glasses. Pour in the cake layer, then freeze for 15 minutes, then add the strawberry layer and freezer for 15 minutes. Repeat layering and freezing until the glasses are full.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 1 Serving Size: milkshake
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 815Saturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 64mgSodium: 1086mgCarbohydrates: 147gFiber: 3gSugar: 91gProtein: 11g
Wednesday #FarmersMarketWeek Recipes
- Charred Corn, Zucchini, Arugula Pizza by The Baking Fairy
- Cherry Strawberry Frozen Yogurt by Caroline's Cooking
- Corn Pasta with Bacon and Pecorino Romano by Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Fresh Blueberry Streusel Topped Crumb Cake by Faith, Hope, Love, & Luck Survive Despite a Whiskered Accomplice
- Green Bean Salad by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Grilled Peaches with Ice Cream by House of Nash Eats
- Indian Style Vegetable Fried Rice by Palatable Pastime
- Maple Bundt Cake with Cinnamon Maple Glaze by Family Around the Table
- Naan Bread Grilled Veggie Pizza by The Freshman Cook
- Peach, Zucchini and Onion Flatbread by Cookaholic Wife
- Raspberry Spinach Salad with Grilled Chicken by Tip Garden
- Roasted Onion Dip by Karen's Kitchen Stories
- Savory Tomato Pie by Cooking With Carlee
- Southwest Stuffed Peppers by Jolene's Recipe Journal
- Strawberry Shortcake Milkshake by The Redhead Baker (recipe above)
- Vegetable Lasagne Stuffed Zucchini Boats by Everyday Eileen
- Veggie Bagel Sandwich by Books n' Cooks
- Watermelon Mojito Popsicles by A Kitchen Hoor's Adventures
- Zucchini Scones by Kate's Recipe Box