Carolina-style BBQ burgers are juicy beef patties topped with sharp cheddar cheese, tangy mustard- and vinegar-based BBQ sauce and coleslaw.
Happy Father’s Day! In honor of our dads, the #SundaySupper bloggers, hosted by Sarah of The Chef Next Door, are posting about dads’ favorite recipes.
When I think about the food my dad likes, the first thing that I think of is the grill. It probably sounds stereotypical. But it’s true in this case. My dad loves to grill. I still remember quite a few times growing up when we got significant amounts of snow. One of the first things my dad would shovel out was his grill. Yes, my dad even grilled in the winter.
When we go over for a cookout, there’s a huge spread of food, even if there are only 6 or so people for dinner. There’s burgers and chicken and steak. There’s cheese, tomato, lettuce, onion and picked jalapenos for the burgers. And there are at least four different condiments: mayo, ketchup, and two kinds of barbecue sauce. There’s fruit salad, pasta salad, potato salad, and corn on the cob.
One recent addition to the condiment lineup is a tangy “Carolina Gold” barbecue sauce that my dad really likes. I posted the recipe for the sauce on Wednesday, and I used that sauce and cole slaw on a simple beef patty to make Carolina-style BBQ burgers that I think my dad would love.
- 1 lb ground beef, 80/20 recommended
- 4 slices sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup Carolina Gold BBQ sauce
- 1 cup coleslaw, store-bought or homemade
- 4 hamburger buns
- Divide the ground beef into 4-oz portions and shape into patties.
- Heat a cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat, and cook the patties for about 8 minutes for medium-rare doneness (or to your desired level of doneness), flipping once halfway through cooking.
- Lay a slice of Cheddar cheese over each burger, and cover the skillet for about a minute to let the cheese melt.
- While the cheese is melting, turn the broiler to high, split the buns and place cut-side-up on a baking sheet. Toast under the broiler for about 20 seconds, until light golden brown.
- Place a burger on each bun. Top with about 2 tablespoonfuls of bbq sauce and about 1/4 cup of cole slaw. Enjoy!
Recipe by The Redhead Baker
Discover more of #SundaySupper’s Dads’ Favorite Recipes
Appetizers & Snacks:
- Best Popcorn Ever (with Nutritional Yeast!!) by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Easy Homemade Pretzel Recipe by April Golightly
- Nana’s Pimento Cheese by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Bourbon Sweet Tea Cocktail by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Dad’s Favorite Blueberry Pancakes by Family Around The Table
- Steak & Egg Breakfast Skillet by Caroline’s Cooking
Condiments & Sauces:
- Apple Crisp by Ninja Baker
- Banana Berry Bread by Desserts Required
- Blackberry Chocolate Chunk Ice Cream by Simple and Savory
- Black Bourbon Walnut Brownies with Maple-Candied Bacon by The Crumby Cupcake
- Blueberry Ice Cream Cookie Bars by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Cherry Garcia Bars by Pies and Plots
- Chocolate Marshmallow Cupcakes by Crazed Mom Lifestyle & Recipes
- Pineapple Upside Down Cake by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Coconut Cream Pie by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Tempura Strawberries by Baking Sense
- German Chocolate Brownie Pie by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Graham Cracker Chocolate Chunk No-Churn Ice Cream by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Grilled Fruit Kabobs with Fresh Whipped Cream by Helpful Homemade
- Peach Crumble Bars by The Finer Cookie
- Personal Banana Cream Pie by Food Lust People Love
- Strawberry Rhubarb Pie by The Chef Next Door
- Maizena Tamal by Basic N Delicious
- Mom’s Carrot Cake by Jennifer Cooks
- Bacon Patty Melts by Cookin’ Mimi
- BBQ Salmon Salad with Avocado Ranch Dressing by PancakeWarriors
- Beef Shepherd’s Pie Casserole by Cooking Chat
- Buffalo Chicken Tacos by Palatable Pastime
- Carolina-Style BBQ Burger by The Redhead Baker
- Coffee-Rubbed Prime Rib Roast by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Fried Chicken by Tramplingrose
- Grilled Chicken and Beef Stir Fry by The Freshman Cook
- Grilled Filet Mignon with Zip Sauce by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Italian Sausage and Peppers by Monica’s Table
- Moroccan Preserved Lemon Chicken Tagine by Curious Cuisiniere
- Philly Style Slow Roasted Pork Sandwich with Broccoli Rabe and Provolone by The Hungry Goddess
- Sharp Cheddar and Crispy Onion Burgers with Horseradish Sauce by A Mind Full Mom
- Skillet Spaghetti and Meatballs by From Gate to Plate
- Spicy Fish Tacos with Garlic-Chive Aioli by Wholistic Woman
- Turkey Chorizo Burgers with Guacamole by Books n’ Cooks
- Vegetarian “Philly Cheesesteak” by Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Walnut Cauliflower Zucchini Boats by Beauty and the Beets
- Chipotle Lime Cole Slaw by Dizzy Busy and Hungry
- The Ultimate BLT Pasta Salad by Cooking with Carlee
Plus What Dad Really Wants for Father’s Day from Sunday Supper Movement
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.