This post is sponsored in conjunction with AppleWeek. I received product samples from sponsor companies to aid in the creation of the AppleWeek recipes. All opinions are mine alone.
Apple cider Moscow mules are a delicious autumn cocktail. The apple cider pairs well with the traditional mule ingredients of ginger beer, vodka and lime juice.
It’s Day 4 of AppleWeek! Have you checked out the giveaway prizes and entered to win yet? If not, head over to Monday’s post to read about the prize packs from our generous sponsors and fill out the entry form.
Today’s recipe is an autumn twist on a Moscow Mule cocktail. Have you tried a Moscow mule? It doesn’t have anything to do with Russia, or mules. It probably originated in New York in the 1940s. It’s a combination of vodka, lime juice and ginger beer, and it’s always served in a copper mug (but one lined on the inside with nickel or stainless steel, so the acidic drink doesn’t dissolve the copper into the drink).
All three of those ingredients pair very well with apple cider. The ginger beer adds a warm spice to the cocktail that I’ve never had before. Ginger beer is not beer at all, but a non-alcoholic soda. Look for it in your grocer’s International Foods aisle.
Why use a copper mug? The metal cup is an excellent insulator, and keeps your drink chilled longer. The mugs also have handles, which ensures your body heat doesn’t warm up your drink. Some argue that the copper mug enhances the flavor of the drink, but those claims are purely subjective.
I highly recommend using freshly squeezed lime juice over the bottled stuff you can buy at the store. Okay, the bottled stuff is more convenient, but it contains preservatives that can leave a bad aftertaste, and some of the lower-quality ones just taste fake. To squeeze the most juice out of your lime, microwave it on high for 10 seconds, then roll it back and forth with your palms on a hard surface before slicing and squeezing.
For extra fizz, you could also substitute sparkling cider for the plain apple cider, if you have some on-hand and need to use it up.
Products from Amazon.com
- 1 oz lime juice, from 1 lime
- 4 oz vodka
- 4 oz ginger beer
- 8 oz apple cider
- Fill two copper mugs with ice. Add the lime juice.
- Add the vodka and ginger. Top off each mug with apple cider.
- Garnish with slices of lime and/or apple and serve.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 1 Serving Size: cocktail
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 205 Sodium: 9mg Carbohydrates: 18g Sugar: 16g
More AppleWeek Recipes
- Apple & Red Cabbage Slow-Cooker Sauerkraut by Faith, Hope, Love & Luck
- Apple Bourbon Pork Tenderloin with Butternut Squash by Girl Abroad
- Apple Butter-Glazed Chicken Wings by Culinary Adventures With Camilla
- Apple Cherry Jam Cookies by The Monday Box
- Apple Cinnamon Cake by Girl Abroad
- Cheddar Chicken Tacos with Apple Salsa by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Apple Cider Donuts by House of Nash Eats
- Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal Muffins by The Bitter Side of Sweet
- Apple Fritters by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Apple Maple Breakfast Sausage by Kate’s Recipe Box
- Apple Spice Poke Cake by Jonesin’ for Taste
- Apple Oatmeal Muffins by Books n’ Cooks
- Apple Pandowdy by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Apple Pecan Chicken Salad by Cookaholic Wife
- Baked Apple Cider Donuts by Everyday Eileen
- Baked Cinnamon Apples by The Anthony Kitchen
- Caramel Apple Cheesecake Dip by Corn, Beans, Pigs and Kids
- Caramel Apple Galette by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Caramel Apple Cheesecake Bars by Strawberry Blondie Kitchen
- Caramel Apple Pie Party Mix by Lemon Blossoms
- Chicken with Apple, Onion, and Cider Sauce by Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Cinnamon Apple Fritters by The Freshman Cook
- Chipotle Turkey, Apple, & Sweet Potato Chili by Savory Moments
- Harvest Apple Grilled Cheese Sandwich by Love and Confections
- Herby Ginger Apple Compote by Amy’s Cooking Adventures
- Individual Skillet Apple Pies by Family Around the Table
- Instant Pot Quick Oats with Apples, Walnuts and Honey by 4 Sons R Us
- Japanese Beef Curry (Kare Raisu) by Palatable Pastime
- Kielbasa, Apple, Bacon, Sweet Potato Skillet Meal by Tip Garden
- Mini Apple Crisp Baked Apples by Cooking With Carlee
- New England Apple Cake by Jolene’s Recipe Journal
- Pan Apple Cakes by Seduction in the Kitchen
- Salted Caramel Apple Cinnamon Turnovers by Daily Dish Recipes
- Slow Cooker Chai Apple Butter by Mildly Meandering
- Spiked Mulled Apple Cider by Caroline’s Cooking
- Stuffed Apples with Homemade Sausage and Rice by Our Good Life