This post and recipe was created for #HalloweenTreatsWeek. I was sent samples by some of the sponsor companies but as always opinions are 100% mine.
Turn cupcakes into Cauldron Cakes for Halloween! Chocolate cupcakes are the base for a marshmallow potion, and Sweets & Treats sprinkles bubble out of the top.
I hope these spooky sweets and treats are getting you into the Halloween mood! Don’t forget to enter the giveaway! Prize info and giveaway entry form are at the bottom of this post.
When I think of Halloween, one of the classic symbols is a witch. Witch decorations, witch costumes, etc.! So, why not witchy treats? I turned ordinary chocolate cupcakes into cauldron cakes with the help of Sweets & Treats Boutique‘s sprinkle mix.
When I was considering how to construct these cauldron cakes, I was originally going to frost them, then add the sprinkles. But, they wouldn’t resemble cauldrons at all. Just cupcakes with sprinkles. Then I found a tutorial from Pastry Affair, and while they look AWESOME (seriously, go check them out!), they are a lot of work. And since the cauldron handles aren’t made with tempered chocolate, they wouldn’t maintain their shape after a while.
So, I simplified mine a bit. I loved the idea of filling them with yummy marshmallow cream to help the sprinkles adhere. But after that, I simply added some dollops of chocolate frosting around the edges for a rim. I really doubt my 6-year-old would appreciate the time and effort of making cauldron feet out of chocolate chips.
My favorite part of these cauldron cakes the sprinkles bubbling out of the top of the “cauldrons.” I love the “Monster Mash” sprinkle mix I got from Sweets & Treats. I’ve been a fan of theirs for years, and I’ve used their paper straws and cupcake liners in past posts. Their pre-made sprinkle mixes come in all sorts of creative themes! If you don’t see a pre-made mix that works for you, you can even create your own.
They have sprinkle options that are vegetarian, vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free, or nut-free, and they have tags under Allergy Info in their menu, so you can easily find sprinkles that are safe for your dietary needs.
Products from Amazon.com
For the chocolate cupcakes
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened natural cocoa powder
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 2 tsp Adams vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup buttermilk, at room temperature
For the marshmallow filling
- 1 cup Marshmallow Fluff (or prepared marshmallow cream)
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
- 1/2 cup confectioners sugar
- 2 teaspoons Adams vanilla extract
For the frosting
- 7 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 4 1/2 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 4 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon sour cream
- 2 oz Sweets & Treats Monsters Mash sprinkle mix
Make the cupcakes
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (177°C). Line a 12-cup muffin pan with cupcake liners. Set aside.
- Whisk the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together in a large bowl until thoroughly combined. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs, granulated sugar, brown sugar, oil, and vanilla together until completely smooth. Pour half of the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Then half of the buttermilk. Gently whisk for a few seconds. Repeat with the remaining wet ingredients and buttermilk. Stir until *just* combined; do not overmix. The batter will be thin.
- Pour or spoon the batter into the liners. Fill only halfway to avoid spilling over the sides or sinking in the middle. Bake for 18-21 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
Make the marshmallow filling
- In a medium bowl, beat together the marshmallow fluff, shortening, sugar, and vanilla extract until light and fluffy, about 3-5 minutes. Transfer to a piping bag and set aside.
Make the frosting
- Melt the chocolate in a heat-proof bowl set over a pot of simmering water. Set aside to cool until just barely warm.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the cream cheese and butter on medium-high speed until pale and fluffy, about 3-4 minutes. Gradually mix in the confectioners’ sugar, cocoa powder and salt. Beat in the melted and cooled chocolate and then the sour cream. Continue beating until the mixture is smooth and well blended.
- Transfer to a piping bag fitted with a small open star tip and set aside.
Assemble the cupcakes
- Pour the sprinkles into a small bowl. Using a sharp paring knife, cut a cone-shaped portion out of the middle of each cupcake. Do not cut all the way down to the bottom.
- Snip off about a quarter inch of the piping bag with the marshmallow cream, and pipe some of the cream into the hole, filling it just above the top of the cupcake. Dunk the top of the cupcake into the sprinkles until some adhere to the marshmallow filling. Set aside.
- Repeat with remaining cupcakes.
- Once all cupcakes are filled and sprinkled, use the piping bag of chocolate frosting to pipe small dollops around the edges of the cupcakes to make the rim of the cauldron.
- Store in airtight containers in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 1 Serving Size: cupcake
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 575 Saturated Fat: 13g Cholesterol: 57mg Sodium: 170mg Carbohydrates: 69g Fiber: 3g Sugar: 55g Protein: 4g
Check out more amazing #HalloweenTreatsWeek recipes!
- Melting Witch Poke Cake from Big Bear’s Wife
- Zombie Pudding Cups from Mrs. Happy Homemaker
- “Ive’ Gone Batty” Halloween Brownies from I am a Honey Bee
- Halloween Sprinkle Cookies from Daily Dish Recipes
- Frozen Frankenstein Pudding Pops from Kudos Kitchen
- Red Velvet Marble Cake with Bloody Red Ganache from The Baking Fairy
- Ghostly Gooey Dip from Who Needs A Cape?
- Macaron with Candy Corn Buttercream from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Monster Bark from Savory Experiments
- Chocolate Covered Pretzel Monster Bites from Katie’s Cucina
Happy Halloween! We hope you’re ready for a spooktacular event as we celebrate Halloween with the first annual #HalloweenTreatsWeek event hosted by Angie from Big Bear’s Wife. This haunting week-long event is filled with fantastic Halloween treats, recipes and some frightfully fun giveaways.
“When witches go riding, and black cats are seen, the moon laughs and whispers ‘tis near Halloween.”
For our very first #HalloweenTreatsWeek event we have 30 talented bloggers that are sharing their favorite Halloween recipes throughout the week! There are going to be over 100 Halloween themed recipes shared during this year’s #HalloweenTreatsWeek and we can’t wait for you to see them all!
Plus, don’t forget that we have 5 (five) great giveaways for you this week thanks to our amazing sponsors!
Scroll down to take a look!
Prize #1 — Dixie Crystals is giving away one (1) Instant Pot (8 Qt) to one lucky winner!
Prize #2 — Adam’s Extract is giving away – 1 Gift Pack – including Pure Vanilla Extract, Ground Cinnamon, Caramel Extract, Almond Extract, Pumpkin Pie Dip Mix and Adam’s Best Twice as strong Vanilla
Prize #3 —Wilton is giving away a Wilton Gift Pack – including – Halloween Cookie House Bat, Tombstone and Skull 3-Piece Cookie Cutter Set, Halloween Skull Tube Pan, Zombie Cupcake Liners, Skull Sugar Decorations
Prize #4 — Sweets and Treats Shop is giving away 1 (one) 1.5lb Sprinkle Mix Kit from their shop
Prize #5 — Treat Street USA is giving away a $25 Visa Gift Card
Giveaway open to US Residents 18 years or older. All entries will be verified. No PO Boxes Please. Prizes will be sent directly from sponsors to winners, bloggers are not responsible for prizes. This giveaway runs from October 1st – October 6th at 12AMEST. Winners will be selected soon afterward and contacted by e-mail. Winners will have 48 hours to respond or a new winner will be chosen. There are a total of 5 (five) prizes and therefore we will have a total of 5 (five) winners. No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law.
Disclaimer: These posts and recipes are part of the week-long event, #HalloweenTreatsWeek but all opinions are 100% mine! We would like to Thank our amazing sponsors: Dixie Crystals, Adam’s Extract, Wilton, Sweets and Treats Shop and Treat Street USA ! These wonderful sponsors provided the prize packs for our giveaways and also sent samples and products to the #HalloweenTreatsWeek bloggers to use in their recipes.