For day 5 of #IceCreamWeek, I made a homemade version of my favorite sundae from a popular restaurant chain: chocolate peanut butter ice cream sundaes!
Welcome to Day 5 of Ice Cream Week 2014! This year the event is hosted by Kim of Cravings of a Lunatic and Susan of The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen. We have teamed up with 25 amazing bloggers to share some amazing ice cream recipes with you. I hope you belong to a gym. We'll all need it by the end of the week!
Our sponsors for the event have provided us with some great prizes. A huge thanks to Cake Boss, Anolon, Microplane, WÜSTHOF, Page Street Publishing andQuarry Spoon. Kim of Cravings of a Lunatic and Susan of The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen have tossed in a bonus prize of a Cuisinart Ice Cream Maker because they think everyone should own one!
Here’s what is up for grabs, One Winner Takes All:
- One Cuisinart Ice Cream Machine in White
- One Cake Boss Mechanical Ice Cream Scoop with Red Silicone grips
- One Cake Boss 4Pc Ice Cream Bowl Set, Icing Pattern
- One Anolon Advanced Bronze 2 Qt Covered Straining Saucepan with Pour Spout
- One Microplane Herb and Salad Chopper
- One Microplane Premium Classic Grater in White
- One WUSTHOF CLASSIC 9-inch Double Serrated Bread Knife
- One Copy of the Cookbook Making Artisan Gelato by Torrance Kopfer
- One Copy of the Cookbook Everything Goes with Ice Cream by Koralee Teichroeb
- One Copy of the Cookbook Vegan Scoop by Wheeler del Torro
- One Copy of the Cookbook The Great Vegan Bean Book by Kathy Hester
- One Copy of the Cookbook Eat More Dessert by Jenny Kellar
- One Copy of the Cookbook The Perfect Scoop by David Lebovitz
- One Copy of the Cookbook Scoop Adventures by Lindsay Clendaniel
I love chocolate. I love peanut butter. Put them together? I'm in heaven. My favorite candy is peanut butter cups. If there's a way to combine chocolate and peanut butter, you can bet I'll eat it.
There's a popular family-friendly restaurant chain that's known for its ice cream. They have a peanut butter cup sundae. I order it every time I go, which isn't that often, because the sundae is probably about 5,000 calories. Ok, just under 900. Seriously, it has three scoops of ice cream, peanut butter topping, hot fudge, peanut butter cups, and whipped cream. Honestly, my stomach feels bloated just thinking about it. There really can be too much of a good thing.
But after learning that I can make peanut butter topping at home, I can create my own, smaller version of my favorite sundae. It's so very simple to make, and keeps well in the fridge.
For the peanut butter topping
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¼ cup light corn syrup
- 2 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup creamy peanut butter, not the natural kind
For the sundaes
- 1 pint chocolate ice cream
- ½ cup hot fudge topping
- ½ cup mini peanut butter cups
- Whipped cream
- Make the peanut butter topping: place the first five ingredients in a medium saucepan over medium heat and stir constantly until the sugar dissolves and the mixture is uniform. Remove from the heat and let sit for 5 to 10 minutes. Add the peanut butter and stir until fully incorporated. Pour into a container and let sit at room temperature until fully cooled.
- Scoop ½ cup ice cream into each of four bowls. Top each bowl with 2 tablespoon of peanut butter topping, 2 tablespoon of hot fudge topping, 2 tablespoon of mini peanut butter cups, and some whipped cream.
Peanut butter topping recipe from Chow.com
Be sure to visit all of today's Ice Cream Week Participants:
- Roasted Blueberry Cheesecake Ice Cream by Cravings of a Lunatic
- Blackberry Peach Ice Cream by Scoop Adventures
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Ice Cream Sundaes by The Redhead Baker
- Maple Whisky Ice Cream by Cookistry
- Chocolate Ganache Ice Cream by Life Tastes Good
- Pineapple Coconut Ice Cream by My Catholic Kitchen
- Coffee Chip No Churn Ice Cream by The Life and Loves of Grumpy's Honeybunch
- Caramel Macchiato No Churn Ice Cream by Renee's Kitchen Adventures
- Double Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream Sandwiches by Crumb
- No Churn S'mores Ice Cream by The Spiffy Cookie
- Cocoa Pebbles Ice Cream Cake by Wishes and Dishes
- Mocha Mint Milkshake by The Gunny Sack
- No Churn Low Carb Peanut Butter Coffee Ice Cream by Yours and Mine are Ours