Indulge in an adult snack — margarita popcorn, coated in butter flavored with tequila and lime juice. It's so easy to make!
Welcome to the #SundaySupper Summer Corn Recipes event, hosted by Ellen from Family Around the Table.
Though I'm well-known for my sweet tooth, popcorn has always been my favorite salty snack. I love going to one particular chain of movie theaters because I love that they have a dispenser where I can slather my bag of popcorn in extra "butter" topping (I'm sure it's fake). I'm sure it's totally unhealthy, but for the two to three times a year I go to the movies, I have no regrets indulging.
For a long time, I was a popcorn purist. Most often, the topping on my popcorn was butter and salt. At Christmas, we'd usually receive one of those tins with three flavors of popcorn, and I'd eat the cheddar-cheese-coated popcorn, too (but not the caramel).
Later, I was introduced to popcorn topped with parmesan-and-garlic-flavored butter. Yum! I started to seek out more savory popcorn flavors, and even sweet flavors. I was late jumping on the sweet-and-salty combination of flavors.
Margarita popcorn is a really easy adults-only snack. I used plain microwaveable popcorn. If you prefer air-popped or stove-popped, go ahead and use that. A standard bag of microwaveable popcorn yields about 13 cups of popped popcorn. Don't worry about getting exactly 13 cups if you use another method of popping popcorn. It's fine to have a little more or a little less.
While the popcorn is popping, melt the butter in a saucepan with the tequila, lime juice, sugar and kosher salt. It's adults-only because the alcohol will not cook out when the tequila is mixed with the warm butter. Definitely use kosher salt instead of table salt. The larger crystals won't dissolve in the warm butter, and it has a purer salt flavor.
Pin this recipe for Margarita Popcorn for later!
- 6 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoon freshly squeeze lime juice
- 2 tablespoon tequila
- 2 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 13 cups plain popcorn, still hot, 1 bag
- 1 ½ teaspoon lime zest, plus more for garnish, if desired
- slices lime for garnish, if desired
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter with the lime juice and tequila. Add the sugar, salt and lime zest, and stir just until the sugar dissolves.
- Place the hot popcorn in a large serving bowl, and pour the butter mixture over top. Toss to coat.
- Garnish with additional lime zest and/or lime slices and serve.
Slightly adapted from Food Network
Discover more #SundaySupper Summer Corn recipes
- Cajun Baked Shrimp and Corn Dip by The Weekend Gourmet
- Cheesy Grilled Corn Dip by Helpful Homemade
- Grilled Corn Salsa by A Mind “Full” Mom
- Indian Cheese Corn Toast: Popular Vegetarian Recipe by Easy Cooking with Molly
- Roasted Corn and Tomato Bruschetta by Monica's Table
- Blueberry Masa Harina Pancakes by Magnolia Days
- Grilled Corn Ravioli Caprese Salad by Food Lust People Love
- Griled Corn and Avocado Salad by Garden Matter
- Grilled Tri Tip and Roasted Corn Salad by The Freshman Cook
- Healthy Corn, Edamame & Avocado Salad by Food Done Light
- Summer Vegetable Salad by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Black Bean Corn Casserole by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Cornbread Waffles with Pulled Pork by Renee’s Kitchen Adventures
- Fresh Corn Fettuccine by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Fresh Corn Polenta with Summer Vegetables by Caroline's Cooking
- Pasta with Creamy Corn Sauce and Summer Vegetables by Delaware Girl Eats
- Polenta Stuffed Peppers by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Shrimp Corn Chowder by Feeding Big and More
- A-maize-ing Maple Cornbread by Family Around The Table
- Blueberry and Corn Skillet Bread by Wholistic Woman
- Corn Pudding by Bottom Left of the Mitten
- Corn Pudding with Jalapenos and Chiles by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Easy Addictive Corn by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Galey iyo Qumbo (Somali Corn in Coconut Sauce) by Tara’s Multicultural Table
- Honey Cornbread Muffins by Life Tastes Good
- Mealie Bread (South African Sweetcorn Bread) by Curious Cuisiniere
- Jalapeno Popper Cornbread Muffins by The Crumby Cupcake
- Peruvian Grilled Street Corn by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Skillet Corn with Bacon by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Skillet Fried Corn by New South Charm
- Skillet Jalapeno Cornbread by Grumpy's Honeybunch
- Blackberry Cornbread Buckle by Pies and Plots
- Brazilian Corn Cookies by What Smells So Good?
- Easy Cornmeal Budino with Blueberry Marmellata by Cooking With Carlee
- Margarita Popcorn by The Redhead Baker
- Sweet Corn Ice Cream by Baking Sense
Saturday 8th of May 2021
Waste of good tequila. Soggy. Even tried putting them in a low heat oven to crisp up. No luck.
Lauren @ Sew You Think You Can Cook
Sunday 14th of August 2016
I'm glad someone made popcorn for this event! What a fun preparation.
Wednesday 10th of August 2016
Sounds like a great way to kick popcorn up a notch!
Monday 8th of August 2016
What fun!!! And so unique! I much prefer savory over sweet, so this popcorn is right up my alley!
Sunday 7th of August 2016
I eat popcorn almost every day---one of my favorite snacks! Now I need to try your margarita flavorings!!