Thursday means A Healthy Slice of Life's Munchkin Meals link-up!
This week, we are focusing on dinner. We've been trying to offer Liam (8 months old) flavor combinations instead of single-ingredient purees, whether it's two veggies, a fruit and a veggie, or a protein and a veggie. I'm turning more often to baby food cookbooks and websites for ideas and recipes. My favorite sources are:
- Wholesome Baby Food (website)
- Simply Baby Food Recipes (website)
- The Best Homemade Baby Food on the Planet (book by Karin Knight and Tina Ruggiero)
- Superfoods for Babies and Children and Top 100 Baby Purees (books by Annabel Karmel)
- Start Fresh (book by Tyler Florence)
For now, we are still introducing Liam to new foods and watching for allergic reactions, so he gets his own dinners. When he has tasted a wider variety, we will simply serve him what we eat ourselves at meals.
The best part about feeding Liam dinner is that once he's done (and made a huge mess), it's time for his pre-bedtime bath! Liam HATES having his face wiped after a meal, but loves his bath. So, we just have to remove the bib and his diaper and plop him in the tub.
Liam's favorite dinner meals are:
- Cooked ground turkey and peas (finger food)
- Carrot and sweet potato puree
- Sweet potato and apple puree
- Chicken, apple and sweet potato (photo and recipe below)
Slightly adapted from Superfoods for Babies and Children
Yield: 6 baby portions
- 1 tablespoon canola or grapeseed oil
- ½ cup chopped white onion
- 4 ounces ground chicken
- ½ large sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 1 ½ cups unsalted chicken stock or water
- 1 small apple, peeled, cored, and chopped
- Heat the oil in a saucepan and saute the onion until soft. Add the ground chicken and cook 1 to 2 minutes. Add the sweet potato, pour in the chicken stock or water, cover, bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the apple and cook until the ground chicken is fully cooked and the sweet potato is tender (about 5 to 10 minutes).
- Puree if desired, or cool and serve as finger food.
Friday 10th of August 2012
We love avocado around here too!