I was very excited when I received my assigned recipe for the latest swap round, themed "Healthy Recipes." I was excited because the dish was inspired by the author's trip to one of my favorite Philadelphia restaurants, Buddakan. It's Asian fusion food in a chic setting. From the waterfall wall in the waiting area, to the two levels of seating, to the community table underneath a giant gold Buddha statue, this place is unique.
The dish was created by Mary Ellen of Mary Ellen's Cooking Creations. Between prepping the meat and vegetables, and cooking, dinner was on the table in 30 minutes. It also has only about 200 calories, and 4.5 grams of fat per serving!
Her dish called for "chili garlic paste," which I could not find in stores, so I used fresh ground chili paste by Huy Fong Foods. I don't know how much it differs from chili garlic paste, so I'm not sure how substantially it altered the flavor of the dish. The dish as I made it was SPICY, but that's not unwelcome in this house! The Mister RAVED over this dish.
Spicy Asian Chicken with Carrots and Brussel Sprouts
Recipe from Mary Ellen's Cooking Creations
- 1 tablespoon grapeseed oil
- 2 chicken breasts, pounded to ⅓-inch thickness and sliced into discs
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut into ¼-inch thick discs
- ½ medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup low sodium chicken broth
- ¼ cup low sodium soy sauce
- ¼ cup rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chili paste
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 20 brussel sprouts (about 1 lb), ends trimmed and cut into discs
- Heat oil in a large sauté pan or wok over medium high heat. Add chicken and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add carrots, onions, and garlic; sauté for 5 minutes
- Mix the broth, soy sauce, rice vinegar, chili paste, brown sugar, and ginger. Add to the pan, and bring to a boil for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add the Brussel sprouts and let simmer for 5 minutes.
- Serve over rice or noodles.
The Home Cook says
Yay! I love when someone gets a dish they absolutely love. And how funny that you also love Buddakan. I've never been to the Philly location, just the one in AC, but I love everything about it.
Thanks for being part of the recipe swap!
Mary Ellen says
Glad you liked it!!! Isnt Buddakan fabulous??
Coleen H. says
I've loved everything I've eaten there!