Eggnog has always been a traditional holiday drink in my family. I turned it into a white chocolate eggnog martini for our Old-Fashioned Holiday #ProgressiveEats meal.
A lot of families have similar holiday traditions on Christmas Eve. Hang up the stockings. Leave out cookies for Santa (and maybe a snack for the reindeer!). Maybe have a traditional Italian meal of seven fishes. Go to church.
Our family puts up stockings. Leaves out cookies and eggnog. Then, we attend a lively Christmas Eve party, with tons of music, food, and drinks of the alcoholic variety. In my family, it’s not Christmas Eve without kamikaze shots.
I was born when my parents were still rather young. They and their friends didn’t want to end their Christmas Eve party tradition, so they just brought the kids along. As the night went on, we kids would fall asleep in a bedroom, the noise of the party drowned out by a fan, until our parents put us in the car in the wee hours of the morning, assuring us that Santa wouldn’t come until we were asleep in our own beds.
I now know that my parents stayed up after the party, wrapping gifts and assembling doll houses from Santa, while one or the other dealt with a hangover. And now, the tradition continues. The second generation now has kids of their own, and spend our own post-party hours wrapping gifts and assembling toys from Santa.
This white chocolate eggnog martini isn’t one of the drinks traditionally served at the party, but it is inspired by it. If you find straight eggnog too cloying, but otherwise enjoy the flavor, you might like this martini. The eggnog flavor is there, but the flavor is mellowed by the other ingredients.
This recipe is easy to scale up for a crowd. White chocolate liqueur can be a bit hard to find, and if you can’t, you can substitute clear creme de cacao, or frangelico, if you enjoy the flavor of hazelnuts. Go very easy on the nutmeg garnish—a little goes a long way!
Products from Amazon.com
Price: $8.99Was: $10.00
3dRose Red and White Christmas Snowflakes - Winter Art - Ceramic Tile Coasters, Set of 4 (CST_59045_3)Price: $10.97Was: $11.20
- 4 oz white chocolate liqueur
- 2 oz vanilla vodka
- 3 oz eggnog
- 1 oz brandy
- Whipped cream, for garnish
- Nutmeg, for garnish
- Combine all ingredients in a cocktail shaker with ice. Shake at least 30 seconds.
- Divide the mixed cocktail between two chilled martini glasses. Garnish with whipped cream and a dash of nutmeg. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 1 Serving Size: martini
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 337 Saturated Fat: 1g Cholesterol: 27mg Sodium: 28mg Carbohydrates: 30g Sugar: 30g Protein: 2g
Old Fashioned Holiday Recipes
- Arepa de Huevo: Fried Corn Cake & Egg Sandwich — Mother Would Know
- White Chocolate Eggnog Martini — The Redhead Baker
- Spiced Meatballs in Tomato Sauce — From a Chef’s Kitchen
- Homemade Crescent Rolls — Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Chocolate Truffle Mousse — That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Cranberry Apple Pie with Grand Marnier Whipped Cream — Creative Culinary