This post and recipe was created for #HalloweenTreatsWeek. This is a sponsored event but all opinions are my own. This recipe contains alcohol and is intended for adults age 21 or more.
This witches' brew cocktail (aka, a pomegranate whiskey sour) features a deep red hue reminiscent of a magic potion.
What #HalloweenTreatsWeek is complete without a cocktail? This witches' brew is actually a pomegranate whiskey sour, a simple cocktail with only four ingredients.
This witches' brew cocktail uses only four ingredients: whiskey, lemon juice, grenadine and pomegranate juice.
- Whiskey: whiskey sours are typically made with bourbon whiskey, one of the smoother types of whiskey.
- Lemon juice: freshly squeezed. You'll need about two lemons to get the juice needed for two cocktails.
- Pomegranate juice: I prefer to buy this bottled, as it's really messy and time-consuming to get it fresh from the pomegranate.
- Grenadine: a sweetener that's also red in color, making the hue of this cocktail even deeper. Originally, grenadine was made from pomegranate juice, though most commercial manufacturers just use corn syrup and red food coloring.
See recipe card for quantities.
This is a really simple cocktail to make! Place all the ingredients (except pomegranate seeds) in a cocktail shaker with ice. Shake for 30 seconds. Strain into a glass with fresh ice!
This drink is delicious when garnished with pomegranate seeds or a twist of orange peel.
If you know how to make the recipe fit a certain diet, let the reader know here. Don't fake it - only provide guidance on topics you have actual experience with.
- Whiskey - instead of whiskey, you can use amaretto for an amaretto sour
- Grenadine - you can use honey, agave syrup, or simple syrup
- Pomegranate juice - you can use flavored pomegranate juice (like cran-promegranate or cherry pomegranate), or cherry juice.
If you need a large batch of the witches' brew whiskey sours for a party, you can make a large batch of the cocktail ahead of time! Instead of shaking the mixture in a cocktail shaker, mix it in a large pitcher and store in the refrigerator in a tightly-sealed container until ready to serve. Give it a quick stir before serving over ice.
To get the most juice out of your lemon, roll it on the cutting board a few times with the heel of your hand. If your lemon feels very firm, microwave it for 10 seconds on high before cutting and juicing it.
- 4 fluid ounces whiskey
- 2 fluid ounces freshly-squeezed lemon juice
- 2 fluid ounces pomegranate juice
- 1 tablespoon Grenadine syrup
- Pomegranate seeds, for garnish
- Combine all ingredients except pomegranate seeds in a cocktail shaker filled with ice.
- Shake for 30 seconds.
- Strain into two old-fashioned glasses filled with fresh ice.
- Garnish with pomegranate seeds and serve.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn a small percentage from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 292Total Fat: 2gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 15mgCarbohydrates: 38gFiber: 6gSugar: 28gProtein: 2g
I am not a certified nutritionist. This nutrition information is automatically calculated by third party software and is meant as a guideline only.
Check out all of these great #HalloweenTreatsWeek recipes for today
- Melted Witch Ice Cream from Big Bear’s Wife
- Blood Splatter Donuts from Semi Homemade Recipes
- Ghost Meringue Cookies from Jen Around the World
- Apple Cider Donut Whoopie Pies from Pint Sized Baker
- Graveyard Pudding Cups from Fresh April Flours
- Halloween Rice Krispie Treats from Devour Dinner
- Halloween Monster Donuts from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Witches Hat Cheese Ball from 4 Sons ‘R’ Us
- Pumpkin Swirl Brownies from Eat Move Make
- Layered Halloween Jello from from House of Nash Eats
- Mummy Wrapped Brie from Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Mummy Cupcakes from The Flour Handprint
- Spider Cake from Baking Up Memories
- Halloween Candy Cracker Toffee from Sweet ReciPEAs
- Old Fashioned Apple Fritters from It’s Shanaka
- Pumpkin Mint Patties from Sweet Beginnings
- Butterfinger Ice Cream (No-Churn) from Pastry Chef Online
- Chocolate Frogs from The Spiffy Cookie
- Halloween Cupcake Treat Board from Strawberry Blondie Kitchen
- Melted Witch Icebox Cake from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Skull Cake from Lemon Blossoms
- Halloween Brownie Pizza from Back To My Southern Roots
- Halloween Mini Bat Taco Cheeseballs from Savory Moments
Welcome!!! It is almost Halloween which means it is time for this year's #HalloweenTreatsWeek recipe and giveaway event!!
#HalloweenTreatsWeek is a yearly Halloween blogging event that is hosted by Angie from Big Bear’s Wife & its a creepy and haunting week-long event is filled with some amazingly wicked Halloween treats, recipes and some frightfully fun giveaways.
For the 4th annual #HalloweenTreatsWeek event we have 28 hauntingly talented bloggers that are sharing their favorite Halloween recipes throughout the week!
Follow the hashtag #HalloweenTreatsWeek on social media and look at the bottom of each post to see all of the Halloween recipes that we’re sharing!
Prize #1 from Dixie Crystals
41 Pieces Silicone Bakeware Set
3 Piece Halloween Silicone Spatula Set
Nordic Ware Haunted Skull Cakelet Pana Rafflecopter giveaway
Giveaway open to US Residents 18 years or older. All entries will be verified. No PO Boxes Please. Prizes will be sent directly from sponsor to winner, bloggers are not responsible for prizes. This giveaway runs from October 11th - October 15th at 11:59PM EST. Winners will be selected soon afterward and contacted by e-mail. Winners will have 48 hours to respond or a new winner will be chosen. There are a total of 1 (ONE) prize pack and therefore we will have a total of 1 (ONE) winners. No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law.
Disclaimer: These posts and recipes are part of the week-long event, #HalloweenTreatsWeek but all opinions are 100% mine! We would like to Thank our amazing brand sponsors: Dixie Crystals that provided a prize pack for our giveaways and also sent some samples and products to the #HalloweenTreatsWeek bloggers to use in their recipes.