Coffee and donuts ice cream sandwiches — your wish for an excuse to eat ice cream for breakfast just came true!
Welcome to Day 4 of Ice Cream Week 2014! Are you having as much fun as I am?
Our sponsors for the event have provided us with some great prizes. A huge thanks to Cake Boss, Anolon, Microplane, WÜSTHOF, Page Street Publishing and Quarry Spoon. Kim of Cravings of a Lunatic and Susan of The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen have tossed in a bonus prize of a Cuisinart Ice Cream Maker because they think everyone should own one!
Here’s what is up for grabs, One Winner Takes All:
- One Cuisinart Ice Cream Machine in White
- One Cake Boss Mechanical Ice Cream Scoop with Red Silicone grips
- One Cake Boss 4Pc Ice Cream Bowl Set, Icing Pattern
- One Anolon Advanced Bronze 2 Qt Covered Straining Saucepan with Pour Spout
- One Microplane Herb and Salad Chopper
- One Microplane Premium Classic Grater in White
- One WUSTHOF CLASSIC 9-inch Double Serrated Bread Knife
- One Copy of the Cookbook Making Artisan Gelato by Torrance Kopfer
- One Copy of the Cookbook Everything Goes with Ice Cream by Koralee Teichroeb
- One Copy of the Cookbook Vegan Scoop by Wheeler del Torro
- One Copy of the Cookbook The Great Vegan Bean Book by Kathy Hester
- One Copy of the Cookbook Eat More Dessert by Jenny Kellar
- One Copy of the Cookbook The Perfect Scoop by David Lebovitz
- One Copy of the Cookbook Scoop Adventures by Lindsay Clendaniel
In a week full of ice cream recipes, I wanted to make at least one outrageous creation. Enter the coffee and donuts ice cream sandwiches. Haven’t you always wished for an excuse to eat ice cream for breakfast? Well, here it is!
I’ve included an incredibly simple no-churn coffee ice cream recipe below, but feel free to use store-bought coffee-flavored ice cream. I used store-bought glazed yeast donuts. Chocolate-glazed could be quite tasty as well. If you’re feeling really adventurous, fry your own donuts!
It might seem a little redundant to set the ice cream in the freezer to harden, only to take it out to soften again. However, the mixture that comes out of the mixer is too soft to shape with the cutter, and the ice cream will be too hard to cut straight out of the freezer.
At first bite, to be honest, these were REALLY SWEET, probably due to the glaze. If you’re not such a fan of sweet, maybe try an old-fashioned donut instead. But, hey, if you’re going to eat something really outrageous, it might as well be outrageously sweet, right?
- 1 ¼ cups heavy cream
- ⅔ cup sweetened condensed milk
- 2 tablespoons instant espresso powder
- 2 tablespoons espresso liqueur
- 4 glazed donuts (or your preferred donut flavor), cut in half horizontally
- Place the heavy cream, sweetened condensed milk, espresso powder and espresso liqueur in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a whip attachment. Whip on medium-high speed until soft peaks form, and mixture turns a tan color.
- Spread the mixture in an 8x8-inch pan and set in the freezer for at least 4 hours.
- Pull the ice cream out of the freezer to soften for 5 minutes. Use a 3 to 3½-inch round cutter (depending on the size of your donuts) to cut four circles of ice cream.
- Place a round of ice cream between each of the 4 donut halves. Wrap in plastic wrap and place in the freezer if not eating immediately.
Ice cream recipe from Nigella Lawson
Be sure to stop by all of today’s Ice Cream Week Participants:
- Ice Cream Float by Cravings of a Lunatic
- Maple Bacon Bourbon Brown Sugar Ice Cream Sandwiches by The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Coffee and Donuts Ice Cream Sandwiches by The Redhead Baker
- Chocolate with Buttercream Icing Ice Cream by Cookistry
- Dulce de Leche and Pecan Sundae by My Catholic Kitchen
- Banana Split Finger Sandwiches by The Life and Loves of Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Strawberries and Cream Ice Cream by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Cinnamon Chunk Ice Cream by Farm Fresh Feasts
- Chocolate Mint Frappe by Noshing with the Nolands
- Gluten Free Lemon Mint Frozen Custard by Gluten Free Crumbley
- Oreo Ice Cream by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Peach Pie Milkshake by The Messy Baker
- Strawberry Vodka Float by Mind Over Batter
- Coconut Cream Fudge Bars by Quarter Life (Crisis) Cuisine
- Flourless Chocolate Almond Coconut Ice Cream Sandwiches by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- How to Make an Old-Fashioned Ice Cream Soda by Mother Would Know
- No Churn Low Carb Mint Ice Cream by Yours and Mine are Ours