Looking for a healthy, on-the-go breakfast with lots of flavor? Try this chai baked apple oatmeal with warm spices and lots of sweet-tart apple chunks.
It’s Day 6 of AppleWeek! Have you checked out the giveaway prizes and entered to win yet? If not, head over to Monday’s post to read about the prize packs from our generous sponsors and fill out the entry form.
Today's post is a delicious breakfast recipe made with chai spice mix from The Spice House. Everyone knows that cinnamon and apples go well together, but chai and apples pair well, too.
Chai is a type of spiced Indian tea, and chai spice is a mixture of dried, ground spices that are typically found in that tea. The mix from The Spice House contains sugar, cardamom, cloves, ginger, China cinnamon, vanilla, and Tellicherry black pepper.
You can add the chai spice mix to your tea or coffee, or add it to baked goods like cakes, cookies, pastries or frosting. The Spice House also sells a wide range of other herbs, spices and mixes. I also have their California pepper seasoning, which is fantastic on grilled steak.
This recipe is very easy to make. Mix the dry ingredients in one bowl; the wet ingredients in another. Combine the two, and bake! This baked oatmeal is delicious at room temperature, but can also be served warm in a bowl with a bit of milk or half-and-half.
When you're tired of the same old on-the-go breakfast, this baked apple oatmeal makes for a nice change of pace. And with 3 grams of fiber per serving, it will keep you feeling full all morning long!
[amazon_link asins='B015CQZO0W,B00004OCNS,B00375MLRA,B00OY91N90' template='ProductCarousel' store='theredheadbak-20' marketplace='US' link_id='b768308e-c1ff-11e8-a25c-99ff0cda91b5']
- 2 ⅓ cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ teaspoon Spice House chai spice mix
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups milk
- ¼ cup unsalted butter , melted and cooled
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 firm apples, cored and diced, such as Envy, Braeburn, or Honeycrisp
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Grease a 9 by 9-inch or 2 quart casserole dish.
- In a medium mixing bowl whisk together oats, sugar, baking powder, salt, and chai spice.
- In a separate large mixing bowl whisk together eggs until well blended. Mix in milk, melted butter and vanilla.
- Add oat mixture to milk mixture along with diced apples and stir well.
- Pour mixture into prepared baking dish. Bake for 45 minutes, or until the oatmeal is set and no longer jiggly in the middle.
- Cool until just warm on a wire rack, or cool completely and store, covered, in the refrigerator and reheat before serving.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 1 Serving Size: serving
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 243Saturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 62mgSodium: 190mgCarbohydrates: 32gFiber: 3gSugar: 14gProtein: 6g
Adapted from Cooking Classy
More AppleWeek Recipes:
- Apple, Bacon and Caramelized Onion Pizza by Strawberry Blondie Kitchen
- Apple Bakewell Tart by Books n' Cooks
- Apple Cider Pulled Pork with Apple Slaw by Simple and Savory
- Apple Cinnamon Baklava by Kate's Recipe Box
- Apple Cinnamon Sprinkle Cookies by Daily Dish Recipes
- Apple Cream Pie with Oatmeal Crust by Savory Moments
- Apple Crisp Pie by The Anthony Kitchen
- Apple Oatmeal Muffins by House of Nash Eats
- Apple Pie Crepes by The Bitter Side of Sweet
- Apple Pie Moonshine by Cookaholic Wife
- Apple Snack Cake by Caroline's Cooking
- Apple Stuffed Acorn Squash by Palatable Pastime
- Baked Apple Donuts with Oatmeal Crumble Topping by Girl Abroad
- Baked Cinnamon Apple Doughnuts by Jonesin' For Taste
- Braised Chicken with Apples by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Buttery Apple Streusel Thumbprint Cookies by Faith, Hope, Love & Luck
- Apple Gingerbread Cakelets by The Monday Box
- Caramel Apple Stuffed Waffles by 4 Sons R Us
- Caramel Apple Vodka Slushie by Everyday Eileen
- Caramel Drizzled Apple Pie Egg Rolls by The Freshman Cook
- Crumbly Apple Cranberry Casserole by Who Needs a Cape
- Easy Apple Dumplings by Corn, Beans, Pigs and Kids
- Gingered Apple Trifles by Culinary Adventures With Camilla
- Individual Apple Croissant Bread Pudding by A Kitchen Hoor's Adventures
- Instant Pot Applesauce by Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Marlborough Apple Custard Pie by Karen's Kitchn Stories
- Maple Apple Crisp by Jolene's Recipe Journal
- Overnight Apple Pie Steel Cut Oatmeal by Tip Garden
- Prairie Apple Crunch by Family Around the Table
- Ricotta Tart with Apples and Prosciutto by Cooking With Carlee
- Shaved Apple Salad by Cindy's Recipes and Writings
- Spiced Apple Charlotte Cake with Cinnamon Whipped Cream by Love and Confections
- Vegan Apple Pie Cinnamon Rolls by The Baking Fairy