This post was sponsored by Mission Organics and The Daily Meal. All opinions are my own.
With a touch of avocado and pineapple slaw for some sweetness, these chipotle lime shrimp tacos are the perfect combination of spicy and fruity!
I love tacos. I love beef tacos, chicken tacos, and vegetarian tacos. I’m starting to sound like my son’s book “Dragons Love Tacos.” I may have suggested a Dragons Love Tacos birthday party so that I could set up a taco bar. But unlike the dragons in that book, I love spicy tacos.
These tacos are loaded with flavor. The shrimp is marinated in a mixture of chipotle chili powder and lime juice, then sauteed. The Mission Organics tortillas are topped with a homemade pineapple slaw and sliced avocado.
I love cooking with shrimp because they cook so quickly, which makes these tacos a great meal for busy weeknights. The pineapple slaw can be made up to a day ahead of time and stored in the refrigerator.
Serve with cilantro brown rice, black bean and corn salad, marinated cherry tomatoes, or chipotle-roasted sweet potatoes for a full meal!
For the Pineapple Slaw
- 2 cups cole slaw mix
- 1 cup diced pineapple
- 1 small shallot diced
- 1/3 cup prepared mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon pineapple juice
- salt and pepper to taste
For the Shrimp
- 1 lb 35 -40 raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 1 lime, juice and zest
For the tacos
- 8 taco-size Mission® Organics Flour Tortillas
- 1 ripe avocado, pit removed, sliced thin
For the Pineapple Slaw
- Place the cole slaw mix, pineapple and shallot in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, stir together the mayonnaise, vinegar, honey and pineapple juice. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour the dressing over the cabbage-pineapple mix, and toss to coat.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 20 minutes.
- For the Shrimp
Make the shrimp:
- Place the shrimp in a shallow dish. In a small bowl, mix together the cilantro, olive oil, brown sugar, cumin, chipotle powder, lime juice and lime zest.
- Pour over the shrimp. Toss to coat.
- Pour the marinade over the shrimp. Cover and refrigerate for 20 minutes, turning the shrimp over halfway through.
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Add 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil, wait until it’s hot, then add the shrimp. Cook until pink and opaque on the bottom (about 2 to 4 minutes), then flip and cook until the second side is pink and opaque. Transfer to a plate.
Make the tacos:
- Stack 4 Mission® Organics Flour Tortillas on a microwave-safe plate. Warm for 20 second on high, then repeat with the other 4 tortillas.
- Spoon a few shrimp onto a warm tortilla, top with some of the pineapple slaw, then layer on one or two slices of avocado. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: tacos
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 602Saturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 43mgCarbohydrates: 94gFiber: 6gProtein: 21g
You might also like:
- Black Bean Tacos with California Avocado Sweet Corn Salad from Naturally Ella
- Crispy Tilapia Fish Tacos from Prevention RD
- Greek Chicken Tacos from Emily Bites
- Honey Lime Salmon Tacos from Two Peas & Their Pod
- Mahi Mahi Tacos with Mango Salsa from The Redhead Baker