Make your version of Friendly's Monster Mash Sundae with homemade mint chocolate chip ice cream, peanut butter cups and chocolate candies.
When I was growing up, my parents used to take my brother and I to Friendly's on occasion as a special treat. Sometimes we would go for dinner and dessert; other times, we just went for ice cream. I still remember that my dad would always order the same thing: a black-and-white milkshake.
If you're not familiar with Friendly's, it's a family restaurant with locations mostly on the east coast of the United States. The first location opened in Massachusetts in 1935. It's now owned by the Hershey Foods Corporation, but still serves the same delicious ice cream.
One of the things Friendly's is known for is its sundaes. One of the kids' menu sundaes is called the Monster Mash. Served in a fluted ice cream dish, it contains mint chocolate chip ice cream, peanut butter cups for horns, M&Ms for eyes, and a maraschino cherry for a nose. It's topped off with chocolate sauce and whipped cream.
I've recreated this delicious dessert with homemade mint chocolate chip ice cream. This egg-free ice cream is one of the easiest things I've ever made. Simply stir the ingredients together, chill, churn, freeze, and scoop! I froze my peanut butter cups to make it easier to cut them evenly in half. Kids and adults alike will love having this frozen monster face for a fun dessert.
For the ice cream:
- 14 oz sweetened condensed milk
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- Generous pinch of table salt
- 2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon pure mint extract
- 2 to 3 drops green food coloring
- 2 oz to 3 bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
For the sundaes:
- Cups Standard size Reese's Peanut Butter, 1 per sundae
- M Brown and red &Ms, 2 brown and 1 red per sundae
- Chocolate syrup
- Whipped cream
- Combine the condensed milk, cream, milk, salt, and extracts in a large mixing bowl, and whisk until well combined.
- Add green food coloring, one drop at a time, whisking thoroughly until you achieve the color you want.
- Cover the mixing bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 6 hours, or overnight.
- Just before churning, melt the bittersweet chocolate over a double boiler, or in a microwave. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Place the mixture in your ice cream maker and churn according to the manufacturer's directions.
- Use a spoon or fork to drizzle thin lines of melted bittersweet chocolate in your freezer container. Scoop some of the churned ice cream into the freezer container and gently spread to cover the bottom. Drizzle more thin lines of chocolate over the ice cream, then cover with another layer of ice cream. Repeat until all ice cream is scooped into the container. Drizzle more chocolate over the top, then cover the container and freeze until the ice cream is hard, at least 4 hours, or overnight.
- To make a monster mash sundae, scoop some ice cream into a dish. Cut a peanut butter cup in half, and place one half on each side of the scoops to look like horns. Place two brown M&M's as eyes, and one red M&M as a nose.
- Drizzle chocolate syrup over the back, and squirt whipped cream on top. Enjoy!
Adapted from Amanda's Cookin'
Discover more #SundaySupper Copycat recipes!
- Hard Rock Cafe's Twist & Shout Shake by The Crumby Cupcake
- Bang Bang Cauliflower Bites by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Copy Cat: Outback Bloomin' Sauce with Onion Petals by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Nopal Dip by Cookin' Mimi
- Copycat Sriracha Sauce by Nosh My Way
- The Village Cafe's Avocado Dressing by Jane's Adventures in Dinner
- Applebee's Oriental Chicken Salad Copycat by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Applebee's Shrimp and Cavatappi by Grumpy's Honeybunch
- B.good's West Side burger with chipotle salsa and avocado by Caroline's Cooking
- Brie and Asparagus Pasta by Life Tastes Good
- Cheesecake Factory Cashew Chicken by Feeding Big
- Chicken Kitchen Chop Chop and Curry Mustard Sauce by Love and Confections
- Chicken Tikka Poutine by Sustainable Dad
- Chili's Margarita Grilled Chicken by Lifestyle Food Artistry
- Filet Mignon with Red Wine Reduction and Roasted Fingerling Potatoes by Crazy Foodie Stunts
- IHOP's Ham, Egg & Cheese Melt by Food Done Light
- Chevy's Sweet Corn Tomalito by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Henri's Tas-Tee Dressing Clone and Cole Slaw by Palatable Pastime
- Panera Copycat Mac and Cheese by From Gate to Plate
- Copycat Cosmic Brownies by Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Cracker Barrel's Double Fudge Coca-Cola Cake by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Friendly's Monster Mash Sundae by The Redhead Baker
- Sheetz "Gobbz" Cookies by The Freshman Cook
- Tiramisu by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Yeasted Sour Cherry Coffee Cake by Pies and Plots