Soup in the summer? Sweet corn shines in this easy, light-but-satisfying summer corn chowder recipe, topped with succulent crabmeat.
Summer is one of my favorite times of year for several reasons. One of the biggest reasons is the abundant selection of fruits and vegetables, and the infinite number of ways in which to use them in cooking. Today's #SundaySupper is all about recipes using farmstand produce.
Being in Philadelphia, we get lots of fresh veggies from New Jersey, including my favorite — sweet corn on the cob! No side dish is better at a cookout than pure, simple corn on the cob, slathered in melted butter and good sprinkle of salt. However, it doesn't make the best food blog recipe entry.
Then I remembered a soup that my late grandfather made for Easter one year. It was a chowder soup, loaded with fresh sweet corn kernels. I never got the recipe from him — it's extremely likely that he never even USED a recipe. However, this soup is a decent re-creation, with some additions of my own, such as the kick from a jalapeno pepper. Remove as much or as little of the seeds and membranes as you like to accommodate your spiciness preferences.
Unlike winter soups, this corn chowder is satisfying while still being light. The half-and-half adds creaminess without making the soup heavy. Crabmeat and fresh chives add more summer flavors to the soup. Serve with crusty Italian bread for sopping up the last savory drops of soup.
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced
- 6 leaves sprigs fresh thyme, only
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 2 Idaho potatoes, peeled and diced
- 6 ears sweet corn
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 6 oz crab meat, picked over for shells
- 2 tbsp chopped chives, for garnish
- Heat the butter and olive oil in a stock pot over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, jalapeno pepper and thyme and cook until the vegetables are very soft, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle the flour over the vegetables and stir to coat everything well. Pour in the vegetable broth and bring to a boil.
- Add the half-and-half and the potatoes, bring to a boil and cook at a rolling boil for about 7 minutes, until the potatoes are very soft and starting to break down.
- Remove the pot from the heat and puree with an immersion blender. Return the pot to the stovetop over medium heat.
- Cut the corn kernels off the cob and add to the soup. Season generously with salt and pepper and simmer until the corn is soft, about 10 to 12 minutes.
- Ladle the soup into 6 bowls and garnish with about an ounce of crabmeat and a teaspoon of chopped chives.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 330Cholesterol: 60mgCarbohydrates: 32gProtein: 11g
Recipe adapted from Food Network
Nutrition information estimated by Yummly
Discover more #SundaySupper Farmstand Food recipes!
Appetizers, Sides and Salads
- 8 Grain Bread by What Smells So Good?
- Farm Fresh Gazpacho by An Appealing Plan
- Farmer's Market Potato Salad by Bobbi's Kozy Kitchen
- Fennel and Orange Salad by Feeding Big - and more!
- Gazpacho Shooters with Avocado and Corn Salsa by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Grilled Peach Caprese by A Gouda Life
- Grilled Prosciutto Corn by Palatable Pastime
- Peach Caprese Salad by The Joyful Foodie
- Radish Top Pesto by Our Good Life
- Carrot Ravioli with Broccoli-Ricotta Filling by Caroline's Cooking
- Farmstand Kebobs with Tahini Dipping Sauce by Jane's Adventures in Dinner
- Gemista (Greek Stuffed Tomatoes) by Curious Cuisiniere
- Halibut with Sugar Snap Peas, Mushrooms and Potatoes en Papillote by Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Spaghetti and Zoodles with Vegetable Bolognese by Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Spaghetti Squash Shrimp Pesto by Tasting Page
- Squash Blossom, Zucchini and Gouda Frittata by FoodieTots
- Sweet Corn Chowder with Crabmeat by The Redhead Baker
- Ziti with Bacon and Greens by Cooking Chat
- Chaussons aux Pommes by Food Lust People Love
- Classic Peach Pie by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Dairy Free Peach Mango Lassis with Coconut Whipped Cream by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Lemon Curd Raspberry Crumb Bars by Wallflour Girl
- Lemon Tart by Brunch with Joy
- Peach Berry Cocktail by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Peach Cobbler with Blueberry Biscuits by Food Done Light
- Raspberry Rhubarb Sweet Rolls by Grumpy's Honeybunch
- Triple Cherry Crisp by Pies and Plots