Is there anything better on a chilly winter day than a bowl of hearty French Onion Soup topped with melty cheese?
I have a love/hate relationship with winter. I hate being cold. I hate walking the dogs on icy sidewalks. I hate driving in the snow. I hate how little daylight there is in winter.
But at the same time, I’d hate to live in a place that didn’t have winter. I love being home on a snow day, watching the flakes fall with a cup of hot cocoa, and a pot of soup simmering on the stove.
When my brother and I would come inside from playing in the snow, my parents would make us each a grilled cheese sandwich and a bowl of soup: chicken noodle for me; creamy tomato for my brother.
I’m picky when it comes to soup. I usually prefer creamy soup, unless it’s tomato soup. Chicken noodle is one exception; French onion soup is the other. Maybe it’s the layer of gooey, melty cheese on top.
Good French onion soup is based on well-caramelized onions. Caramelizing onions (breaking down the sugars in the onions to produce a sweeter flavor) takes time; you can’t rush the process. Some try to cheat by adding sugar to the onions as they cook, but I don’t like the flavor that gives to the soup overall.
This recipe can be made ahead of time, through Step 7, then cooled to room temperature and refrigerated for up to 3 days. Reheat the soup to about simmering before proceeding with Step 8.
Products from Amazon.com
Price: $69.95Was: $99.99
Adapted from Food & Wine
More Recipes for National Soup Swap Day
- Slow Cooker Pepperoni Pizza Soup by Kate’s Recipe Box
- Beef Noodle Soup by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Black Bean Soup with Bacon by Food Above Gold
- Chicken Pot Pie Soup by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Cod Chowder with Bacon by Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- German Goulash Soup by Savory Moments
- Healthy Crockpot Split Pea Soup by Kelly Lynn’s Sweets and Treats
- Herbed Chicken and Spinach Soup by Jolene’s Recipe Journal
- Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup by Palatable Pastime
- Italian Asiago Artichoke Ham & Bean Soup by Faith, Hope, Love, & Luck Survive Despite a Whiskered Accomplice
- Italian Wedding Soup by Cooking For My Soul
- Parsnip Soup by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Slow Cooker Beef and Barley by Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Slow Cooker Creamy Potato and Ham Soup by Blogghetti
- Slow Cooker Manhattan Clam Chowder by Everyday Eileen
- Slow Cooker Tomato Basil Soup by The Spiffy Cookie
- Stuffed Pepper Meatball Soup by Tip Garden
- Vegan Thai Roasted Carrot Soup by The Baking Fairy