This post and recipe was created for #HalloweenTreatsWeek. This is a sponsored event but all opinions are my own.
Don't forget the Halloween Muddy Buddies for your party, a snack at home, or as a gift to a friend or neighbor.
Muddy Buddies (also known as Puppy Chow) are a great snack. Easily scaled up for large gatherings or down to keep a small batch on hand for a sweet craving.
They're also easily adapted for any flavor preferences or to celebrate any occasion or holiday — like Halloween! Which is why I'm sharing this recipe for #HalloweenTreatsWeek. Don't forget to enter the giveaway for a chance to win a great prize pack from our sponsor Dixie Crystals! More info at the bottom of the post.
The base of muddy buddies (also known as puppy chow) is Chex cereal coated in a mixture of peanut butter and chocolate, then tossed in powdered sugar. From there, you can mix and match any number of additions.
- Mini peanut butter cups: these come unwrapped, making it very easy to toss into the mix.
- Reese's Pieces: if some peanut butter is good, more must be better! These candies are coated in Halloween colors.
- Candy eyeballs: have some leftover from making mummy sugar cookies? Add them to your muddy buddies!
- Bone shaped sprinkles: have some leftover from making a graveyard fault line cake? Toss those in, too!
- Candy corn: the quintessential Halloween candy!
- Candy pumpkins: similar to candy corn, but pumpkin-shaped.
There are an infinite number of variations on muddy buddies. Use chocolate cereal. Use Nutella instead of peanut butter.
- Cereal - use chocolate Chex instead of plain rice Chex
- Peanut butter - use Nutella instead
- Chocolate - use white chocolate instead of semisweet
- Mix-ins - use any of your favorite Halloween candy! Fun-size candy bars, M&Ms, tootsie rolls, Milk Duds, use whatever you like.
What to Do with Muddy Buddies
Muddy buddies are a great party snack because it's so easy to make a large batch. However, if you're not having a party, here are some ideas of what to do with it:
- Bring it to work - bring a festive Halloween candy dish (such as a witch's cauldron) to work, set it on your desk or in the break room, and fill it with Muddy buddies
- After-school snack - many schools are peanut-free due to allergies, so keep it at home and let your child enjoy it as an after-school snack
- Boo your neighbor - Who doesn't love a sweet surprise! Scoop some into a festive mug, wrap it in cellophane and leave it on your neighbor's doorstep with a cute "You've Been Boo'ed!" note.
Store the muddy buddies at room temperature in a plastic zip-top bag or a plastic storage container with a tight-fitting lid for up to a week.
Share something here that you think is key to making this recipe well, such as: Don't overcook the burgers! Sear the outside and cook to a minimum internal temperature, but they should still be juicy for best results.
- 7 cups (8.5 oz/240 g) Rice Chex cereal
- 1 cup (6.3 oz/180 g) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup (4.5 oz/130 g) creamy peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- 1 ½ cups (6 oz/170 g) powdered sugar
- 1 (7.6 oz/215 g) package mini peanut butter cups
- 8 oz (225 g) Reese's Pieces candies
- ½ cup (4 oz/110 g) candy eyeballs
- ½ cup (4 oz/110 g) bone-shaped sprinkles
- 1 bag (16.2 oz/459 g) candy corn
- 1 bag (16.2 oz/459 g) candy pumpkins
- In a microwave-safe dish, combine the chocolate chips and peanut butter. Melt together at 30-second intervals at 50% power, stirring between each, until the mixture is smooth.
- Place the cereal in a large mixing bowl. Pour the melted chocolate/peanut butter mixture over top and gently toss with a spatula until the cereal is coated.
- Place the powdered sugar in a large zip-top bag. Add the coated cereal, seal the bag, and shake until the cereal is coated in sugar.
- Spread on a wax-paper lined cookie sheet and let sit until the chocolate is set.
- Transfer the cereal to a serving bowl. Add the peanut butter cups, candies and sprinkles. Gently toss to evenly disperse the mix-ins.
- If not serving right away, cover the serving bowl tightly with plastic wrap.
- Store any leftovers in an airtight container or zip-top bag at room temperature for up to 1 week.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn a small percentage from qualifying purchases.
LaCuisine 18 Piece Microwave Cookware Set
OXO Good Grips 3-piece Silicone Spatula Set
Nordic Ware Natural Aluminum Commercial Baker's Half Sheet Pan (2 Pack)
"You've Been Booed" Treat Bags (60 bags with stickers)
Halloween Jack O Lantern Pumpkin Snack Cups (set of 25)
Halloween 10-inch Party Serving Bowls, 3-Pack
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 65Total Fat: 2gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 78mgCarbohydrates: 12gFiber: 1gSugar: 4gProtein: 1g
I am not a certified nutritionist. This nutrition information is automatically calculated by third party software and is meant as a guideline only.
Check out all of these great #HalloweenTreatsWeek recipes for today
- Melted Witch Ice Cream from Big Bear's Wife
- Blood Splatter Donuts from Semi Homemade Recipes
- Black Velvet Cupcakes from Jen Around the World
- Churro Cupcakes from Devour Dinner
- Kitty Litter Cake from 4 Sons ‘R’ Us
- Halloween Sweet Treats Board from Cookaholic Wife
- Ghost Meringues from House of Nash Eats
- Count Chocula Pudding Shots from Sweet ReciPEAs
- Spider Web Apple Pops from Sweet Beginnings
- Caramel Apple Board from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Pumpkin Snickerdoodles from Our Good Life
Welcome!!! It is almost Halloween which means it is time for this year's #HalloweenTreatsWeek recipe and giveaway event!!
#HalloweenTreatsWeek is a yearly Halloween blogging event that is hosted by Angie from Big Bear’s Wife & its a creepy and haunting week-long event is filled with some amazingly wicked Halloween treats, recipes and some frightfully fun giveaways.
For the 4th annual #HalloweenTreatsWeek event we have 28 hauntingly talented bloggers that are sharing their favorite Halloween recipes throughout the week!
Follow the hashtag #HalloweenTreatsWeek on social media and look at the bottom of each post to see all of the Halloween recipes that we’re sharing!
Prize #1 from Dixie Crystals
41 Pieces Silicone Bakeware Set
3 Piece Halloween Silicone Spatula Set
Nordic Ware Haunted Skull Cakelet Pana Rafflecopter giveaway
Giveaway open to US Residents 18 years or older. All entries will be verified. No PO Boxes Please. Prizes will be sent directly from sponsor to winner, bloggers are not responsible for prizes. This giveaway runs from October 11th - October 15th at 11:59PM EST. Winners will be selected soon afterward and contacted by e-mail. Winners will have 48 hours to respond or a new winner will be chosen. There are a total of 1 (ONE) prize pack and therefore we will have a total of 1 (ONE) winners. No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law.
Disclaimer: These posts and recipes are part of the week-long event, #HalloweenTreatsWeek but all opinions are 100% mine! We would like to Thank our amazing brand sponsors: Dixie Crystals that provided a prize pack for our giveaways and also sent some samples and products to the #HalloweenTreatsWeek bloggers to use in their recipes.