Since Dave's co-workers are having a weight-loss challenge, we've been eating a lot healthier in the Redhead Baker household. It's paying off — two weeks in, Dave's winning!
Cooking Light has been a godsend for delicious, healthy recipes. Have you checked out the May issue? It's ALL about fast recipes, ready in 25 minutes or less.
And thanks to Cooking Light, we can still eat pizza! There's a round-up on their site of pizza toppings under 200 calories.
This pizza replaces the sauce with flavorful pesto, and adds lean shredded chicken and bell pepper strips; instead of tons of mozzarella cheese, a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese.
Even our toddler loved this pizza, which surprised me a little, since he refuses to eat anything green (including green fruits). I tried to "hide" the pesto under the shredded chicken, peppers and cheese. He pulled most of the peppers off, but the pesto didn't deter him.
I hope you'll try this pizza. It's so flavorful, you won't miss the extra calories!
Pizza with Pesto, Chicken and Bell Pepper
Recipe source: Cooking Light
- 14 to 16 ounces of pizza dough, store-bought or homemade
- ⅓ cup pesto, store-bought or homemade
- ¾ cup shredded roasted chicken breast
- ½ cup sliced red bell pepper
- ⅓ grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- Place a pizza stone or upside down baking sheet in the oven, and preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- Roll the dough out into a circle 12 to 14 inches in diaemeter.
- Spread the pesto on the pizza dough using the underside of a large spoon.
- Scatter the shredded chicken and red bell pepper slices over the pesto.
- Sprinkle the cheese over the whole pizza.
- Use a pizza peel to transfer the pizza to the hot pizza stone. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes, until the pizza dough is fully baked and lightly browned.
- Remove the pizza from the oven, and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Use a pizza cutter to cut the pizza into 8 slices and serve hot.
Yield: 4 servings (2 slices each)