Like the Mexican pastry, churro waffles are coated in cinnamon sugar and drizzled with dulce de leche sauce. Enjoy for an indulgent breakfast, brunch or dessert!
A few months ago, I got an email from one of those “deal of the day” sites that they were offering Cuisinart small kitchen electrics at a deep discount. I own most of the common small kitchen electrics already, but compared the price of the waffle maker to other regular online retailers, and while the discount wasn’t quite as steep as they’d have you believe, it still was cheaper than other retailers, even with the cost of shipping.
Well, by happy circumstance, just days after my waffle maker, a new Sunday Supper theme was announced — waffles! With my small apartment and next to no kitchen storage, I try to limit my cooking purchases to those that can perform more than one task. But I love homemade waffles, and simply couldn’t resist.
If we have nothing to do on a weekend morning, and if I get up early enough, I start the coffeemaker, and make a special breakfast. Even with all the flavor options available, we’ve been growing tired of alternating between pancakes and French toast. Sometimes I’ll make eggs, but our 4-year-old doesn’t seem to be a big fan.
Of course, the 4-year-old is perfectly happy to have a stick of string cheese, and a yogurt as his breakfast, then snack throughout the rest of the morning. So really, this indulgence of a special weekend breakfast is mostly for me and Dave.
I don’t know if these churro waffles are better suited for breakfast or dessert, but they are delicious. The batter itself is lightly spiced with cinnamon. Then, the cooked waffles are lightly brushed with melted butter, then sprinkled with cinnamon sugar (the butter helps the sugar stick).
Then, the waffles are drizzled in dulce de leche, a Latin American sauce similar to caramel. Caramel is usually made with water, sugar, cream and butter, while dulce de leche is made with milk and sugar. If you choose, however, you can drizzle these with regular maple syrup, or even chocolate sauce.
Churro Waffles #SundaySupper
For the waffles:
- 4 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp + 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon; plus more if desired
- 4 eggs
- 3 cups warm milk
- 2/3 cup butter; melted and cooled
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
For the topping:
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- Dulce de leche or maple syrup
In a large mixing bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and cinnamon.
In a medium mixing bowl, beat the eggs. Add the milk, butter and vanilla to the eggs and beat to combine.
Pour the wet ingredients over the dry ingredients, and mix until combined.
In a small bowl, combine the sugar and the cinnamon for the topping. Set aside.
Preheat your waffle iron. Spray with nonstick spray (if required), and cook the waffles according to the wafflemaker's instructions.
As soon as each waffle is cooked, brush with melted butter, and then sift some of the cinnamon sugar over top.
Serve with dulce de leche or maple syrup.
Recipe by The Redhead Baker
Discover more #SundaySupper Waffles!
Sweet and Sinful:
- Banana Split Waffle Cake by The Bitter Side of Sweet
- Blueberry Buttermilk Waffles by Alida’s Kitchen
- Boston Cream Pie Waffles by Crazed Mom
- Chocolate Cherry Beet Waffles by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Chocolate Chip Waffle Ice Cream Sandwiches by Turnips 2 Tangerines
- Chocolate Pizelles – The Italian Waffle by GirlAbroad
- Churro Waffles by The Redhead Baker
- Coconut Waffles by Omnivore’s Cookbook
- Dark Chocolate Waffles with Cherry Syrup by The Chef Next Door
- Easy Peasy Blueberry Sauce for Waffles by Pine Needles In My Salad
- Fluffernutter Waffles by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Irish Cream Waffles with Whiskey Strawberries by Tramplingrose
- Japanese Green Tea Matcha Cream Topped Vegan Waffles by NinjaBaker
- Maple Bacon Waffle Ice Cream Cake by Dizzy Busy and Hungry
- Pineapple Upside Down Cake Waffles by Cookin’ Mimi
- Red, White and Blueberry Sourdough Waffles by Cooking With Carlee
- S’Mores Waffles by The Freshman Cook
- Spiced Banana Nut Waffles by Magnolia Days
- Strawberry Shortcake Waffles with Cinnamon Whipped Cream by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Strawberry Waffle Cake by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Waffle Kebobs with Maple Yogurt Dipping Sauce by A Mind Full Mom
- Yeasted Waffles with Peach Syrup by Pies and Plots
Savory Brinner Winners:
- Asiago Waffle Egg Sandwiches by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Bacon Cheeseburger Waffles (Low Carb) by My Life Cookbook
- Bacon Waffles by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Biscuit Waffle Breakfast Stacks by The Weekend Gourmet
- Bleu Pig Potato Waffles by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Breakfast Poutine Waffles by She Loves Biscotti
- Cheesy Bacon Waffles with Spicy Ketchup by Momma’s Meals
- Cheesy Polenta Waffles by Cupcakes and Kale Chips
- Cheesy Spinach Waffles with Ham by Wholistic Woman
- Chicken & Waffles by Family Around the Table
- Corn Waffles Nachos-Style by Caroline’s Cooking
- Croque Monsieur Waffles by Un Assaggio of Food, Wine & Marriage
- Eggs Benedict Cauliflower Waffles by Life Tastes Good
- Korean Fried Chicken and Ramen Waffles by kimchi MOM
- Loaded Gluten Free Cornbread Waffles by Angels Home Sweet Homestead
- Luau Egg Benedict Waffle by Brunch-n-Bites
- Mexican Cornbread Waffles by Sunday Supper Movement
- Monte Cristo Waffle Sandwich by Palatable Pastime
- Pulled Pork Waffle Tacos by The Crumby Cupcake
- Pumpkin Cornbread Waffles with BBQ Chicken Thighs by Our Good Life
- Scallion Waffles by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Sweet and Spicy Pecan Shredded Beef Waffles by Family Foodie
- Waffled Falafel Sandwiches by Food Lust People Love
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement