Serve a festive Christmas breakfast! These gingerbread donuts are topped with maple icing and Christmas sprinkles.
Happy Gingerbread Cookie Day! A group of us bloggers decided to get together and share gingerbread recipes.
It's a known fact that after my culinary career, I never want to see another gingerbread man as long as I live, but that doesn't mean I won't make other gingerbread-flavored baked goods. Or decorate gingerbread houses.
Baked donuts are so easy to make. The process is very similar to making muffins: stir together the dry ingredients, then whisk together the wet ingredients. Add the wet to the dry and stir just until combined, then portion the batter.
But instead of portioning the batter into paper liners, you pour it into a donut pan. Be careful not to overfill the wells, or your batter will overflow.
The apartment smells so good while these are baking. The combination of cinnamon, ginger and cloves is just so comforting. It smells like, well, Christmastime!
After the donuts were baked and cooled, I whipped up a very easy simple icing, and flavored it with maple extract. If you're not a fan of maple, you could substitute an equal amount of vanilla, orange or rum flavoring instead.
These donuts are the perfect treat to enjoy in one hand with a coffee in the other while you watch your kids open their gifts on Christmas morning.
If for some reason you don't finish all of the donuts on the day they are made, they can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 days.
There's another bonus, aside from how easy and quick it is to make these gingerbread dontus. Because they are baked, they're a little bit healthier than traditional donuts that are fried in oil! No need to feel guilty if you decide to have a second helping.
For the donuts
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp ginger
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp cloves
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 large eggs
- 3 tbsp molasses
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp canola oil
For the glaze
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 tsp maple extract
- 2 to 3 tbsp heavy cream
- Sprinkles, if desired
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Spray two donut baking pans with nonstick spray. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, cloves and salt.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, molasses, brown sugar, buttermilk and canola oil.
- Fill a piping bag halfway with some of the batter. Snip about a quarter-inch off the bottom of the bag, and fill each well of the donut pans about halfway with the batter. Refill the bag as needed until each donut well is filled.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Flip the donuts out of the pans onto wire racks to cool to room temperature.
- In a shallow dish, whisk together the icing ingredients until you have an icing that is a pourable consistency.
- Dip the top of each donut in the glaze, letting the excess drip off. While the icing is still wet, scatter sprinkles over the donut, if using. Set back on the wire rack until the icing is set.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn a small percentage from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 213Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 40mgSodium: 227mgCarbohydrates: 37gFiber: 0gSugar: 25gProtein: 3g
I am not a certified nutritionist. This nutrition information is automatically calculated by third party software and is meant as a guideline only.
More Gingerbread Recipes
- Candied Ginger-bread Snaps by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Cranberry Gingerbread Upsidedown Cake by Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Gingerbread Bars with Cream Cheese Frosting by Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Gingerbread Beignets by Simply Inspired Meals
- Gingerbread Biscotti by Sweet Beginnings
- Gingerbread Bundt with Cookie Butter Frosting by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Gingerbread Cheesecake Dip by Kate's Recipe Box
- Gingerbread Dessert Box by The Freshman Cook
- Gingerbread Donuts by The Redhead Baker
- Gingerbread Hot Cocoa by Our Good Life |
- Gingerbread Shortbread by Palatable Pastime
- Gingerbread Waffles by Caroline's Cooking
- Old-Fashioned Gingerbread Cake by House of Nash Eats
- Pogen's Ginger Snaps (Copycat) by Karen's Kitchen Stories
- Vegan Dark Chocolate Gingerbread Layer Cake by The Baking Fairy