I've given new flavor to the classic peanut butter blossoms: cocoa powder and espresso plus milk chocolate Hershey's Kisses equal Mocha Blossom Cookies!
I got an email from Influenster.com recently, asking about my Christmas baking plans. I was accepted for their upcoming campaign, and received a free bag of Hershey's Kisses in the mail! Always a good day when you get free chocolate!
But what to do with those Kisses? I'd made Peanut Butter Blossoms before, but I wanted to do something different. I'd seen chocolate peppermint blossoms, but those were made with peppermint-flavored Kisses. So, I poked around in my baking cabinet for inspiration.
What I found was a bottle of instant espresso granules, that I keep specifically for baking. I'd make mocha blossom cookies! You just can't go wrong pairing chocolate and coffee together.
Instead of a peanut butter cookie, I made a chocolate cookie and added the espresso granules to give it a mocha flavor, then pressed a milk chocolate Hershey Kiss into the center of each one. They are addictive!
- 1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp instant espresso powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup sugar, for coating
- 48 Milk Chocolate Hershey's Kisses, unwrapped
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cream together the butter 1 cup sugar and brown sugar. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, beating and scraping down the bowl between additions. Beat in the vanilla.
- In another mixing bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, espresso powder, baking soda and salt. Add to the butter mixture and mix on low speed just until combined.
- Scrape dough by the tablespoonful and roll into a ball.
- Coat each ball in the ½ cup of sugar, and place on the baking sheet. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes. Let cookies cool on the baking sheet for a minute, then press a Hershey Kiss into the center of the cookie. Use a spatula to transfer the cookie to a wire rack to cool completely.
Inspired by Hershey's Peanut Butter Blossom Cookies
I was not financially compensated for this post or creating this recipe. I received a sample of Hershey's Kisses for Christmas baking purposes.