Need a fast, easy snack for Saint Patrick's Day? Make a batch of these muddy buddies (aka puppy chow): cereal coated in chocolate, peanut butter, and powdered sugar, plus Lucky Charms marshmallows and M&Ms!
When I mention that I'm a food blogger, more often than not, people ask, "What do you do with all that extra food??" Well, there's not as much extra food as you would think. Many of the recipes I post are things my family eats and enjoys.
Other times (like this one), I'll make a half-batch of what I'm planning to blog, so there's not as much extra hanging around. And there are times (like this one) where I wish I'd made a full batch because it's so darn tasty!
Seriously. I really like Chex. I love peanut butter. I *really* love chocolate. And marshmallows. And M&Ms. You'd think I'd have had the forethought to realize, "Hmm, I'm taking ingredients I really like and combining them into one epic snack. Maybe I should make a FULL batch."
Alas. I did not. Thankfully, it's so easy to make, it's no problem to make another half-batch. Or a full batch. And hide in the closet with the bag because I don't want to share.
St. Patrick's Day Muddy Buddies
- 9 cups Rice Chex cereal, 8.5 oz
- 1 cup mini semisweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup creamy peanut butter
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1.5 cups powdered sugar
- 1 cup Lucky Charms marshmallows
- ½ cup green M&Ms
- Line a baking sheet with parchment or wax paper set aside. Pour the Chex cereal into a large mixing bowl. Set aside.
- Place the chocolate chips, peanut butter and butter in a microwave-safe bowl. Heat on high for 1 minute, then stir. Heat an additional 30 seconds if necessary, until mixture is smooth. Stir in the vanilla extract.
- Pour the chocolate mixture over the cereal, and stir with a folding motion until all of the cereal is coated. Spread the cereal on the prepared baking sheet and let sit for about 15 minutes to cool.
- Place the powdered sugar in a gallon-sized zip-top plastic bag. Add the cereal. Seal the bake and shake until all of the cereal is coated.
- Pour the cereal into a serving bowl. Add the marshmallows and M&Ms, toss to distribute. Store sealed in an airtight container at room temperature. That is, if there's any left to store.
Adapted from the official General Mills Chex website
The Food Hunter says
This is such a cute idea for the little ones
Cookin Canuck says
I can see why you wished you had made a full batch of this...I'll bet it was gone in a flash!
This looks like a fun treat to make with the little ones for St. Patty's Day!
Paula - bell'alimento says
i don't care how old I get, I will always love muddy buddies.
Martha @ A Family Feast says
Awww...the kids will love this sweet treat for St. Patrick's Day!
Ashley @ Wishes & Dishes says
I get that question all the time. Also, "how do you stay so skinny with all that food you make?" People think I just inhale everything I make all by myself LOL Love these muddy buddies - I like finding new variations to make!
claire @the realistic nutritionist says
Perfect snack for today!
Heather / girlichef says
I may or may not have a little cupboard all my own where I hide things like this from the rest of the family... YUM!
Nancy [email protected] says
We are addicted to muddy buddies so this would not last long with my family!
Angie | Big Bear's Wife says
Muddy Buddies are so addictive! I love them and I can't stop eating them! Going to have to make these this weekend!
Kim Beaulieu says
Ha, I can often be found hiding in the closet with extras I don't want to share. This is perfect for a nice snack, you can change it up for any holiday. I love recipes like that. Cute model you have there too.
Nutmeg Nanny says
What a fun and delicious looking snack! I would be sad if I didn't make a whole batch either 🙂
Rose | The Clean Dish says
Paddy Day themed easy snacks are the best!! I'd love to try these muddy buddies - what a unique idea!
Just love this. Very festive and something the kids could help make. And this stuff is so addictive.