Pizza for dessert? You bet! Cheesecake Pizza has crescent dough as the crust, topped with sweetened cream cheese, berry compote and chocolate sauce.
October is National Pizza Month, so Sunday Supper is posting all about pizza, and I’m hosting! If I had to choose one food to eat for the rest of my life, it would be pizza. There are so many different toppings and ways to make pizza, I don’t think I could ever get tired of it!
We have pizza just about every Friday night, sometimes homemade and sometimes takeout, so I could have posted about any number of topping combinations. But this time, I decided to be a little different, and post about dessert pizza.
Never heard of dessert pizza? It’s just as fun as regular pizza! You can use a regular pizza, a sweetened pizza crust (adding sugar to the dough), or something completely different, like a giant cookie, or crescent dough.
I went with crescent dough for my Cheesecake Pizza, which makes this kind of like a deep-dish pizza. The crescent dough is pre-baked in a pie plate, just like a pie crust, with tinfoil and pie weights or dried beans to prevent the dough from puffing up too much.
The baked crust is covered with sweetened cream cheese, but since there are no eggs, it doesn’t require further baking. Once the sweetened cream cheese is chilled, it’s topped with fruit compote and chocolate and is ready to serve!
Once the baked crust is topped with the cream cheese, it can be covered and stored in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours. The fruit compote can also be made up to 24 hours in advance, and stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator as well. It’s the ideal make-ahead dessert! If you’re really in a pinch, you can use any fruit-flavor canned pie filling instead.
You can also use Cheesecake Pizza crust and filling as a base and mix up the toppings however you like. Instead of berries and chocolate sauce, use sauteed apples and caramel. Flavor the cream cheese with peanut butter, then top with chopped peanuts and chocolate sauce. Flavor the cream cheese with marshmallow fluff, and top with graham cracker crumbs, marshmallow bits and chocolate sauce!
For the crust:
- 1 tube of crescent dough
For the cheesecake:
- 1 oz package of cream cheese at room temperature, 8-
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
For the berry compote:
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 2 tsp cold water
- 3 cups mixed berries such as raspberries blackberries, and blueberries (fresh or frozen), 3/4 lb
- Chocolate sauce
Heat oven to 375°F. Separate dough into 8 triangles. Place in ungreased 9-inch pie plate; press in bottom and 1/2-inch up the sides to form crust. Gently prick all over with the tines of a fork.
Bake 14 to 17 minutes or until deep golden brown. Set aside to cool.
While the crust is baking, melt the butter in a skillet over medium heat. Stir in the brown sugar and lemon juice until sugar is dissolved. Add the berries and cook, tossing gently (try to keep most of them from breaking up), until berries are warm and juices begin to be released, 2 to 3 minutes.Dissolve the cornstarch in the cold water, and add to the saucepan. Bring to a boil, and cook at a boil for 2 minutes. Remove the stove and allow to cool. If preparing ahead, transfer the cooled mixture to an airtight container and refrigerate until ready to use.
In a mixing bowl, beat together the cream cheese, powdered sugar, vanilla extract and lemon zest.
Spread the cream cheese mixture over the cooled crust. Spoon the berry mixture on top. Drizzle chocolate sauce over the pizza. Cut into 8 slices and serve.
Recipe by The Redhead Baker
Discover more #SundaySupper Pizza recipes!
- Cauliflower Crust Pizza by Monica’s Table
- Cool Veggie and Ranch Pizza Appetizer by Positively Stacey
- Pepperoni Cheese Pizza Sliders by Family Around the Table
- Pizza Beef Wontons by Asian in America
- Pizza Potato Skins by Casa de Crews
- Cinnamon Roll Pizza by Recipes Food and Cooking
- Home Canned Pizza Sauce by What Smells So Good?
- Caramel Apple Dessert Pizza by The Foodie Affair
- Cheesecake Pizza by The Redhead Baker
- Coconut Macaroon Pizza by Pies and Plots
- Fresh Fruit Pizza by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Bacon Jam, Pear and Butternut Squash Pizza by Caroline’s Cooking
- Bagel Pizzas by And She Cooks
- BBQ Bacon Mango Pizza by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Candy Corn Pizza by Palatable Pastime
- Chicago Deep Dish Pizza by Bottom Left of the Mitten
- Chicken Pesto Calzone by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Chicken Pot Pie French Bread Pizza by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Chicken Vegetable Pizza (Low-Carb) by My Life Cookbook
- Copycat UNO’s Pizza by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Deep Dish Fondue Pizza by Momma’s Meals
- Deluxe Imo’s Pizza Lasagna Rolls by Crazed Mom
- Easy French Bread Pizza by Confessions of a Cooking Diva
- Everything Pizza Tartin by Sunday Supper Movement
- Fall Veggie Pizza by The Culinary Compass
- Gluten Free Curried Pumpkin Chicken Pizza by Gluten Free Crumbley
- Grilled Pepperoni and Sausage Pizza Wraps by Food Lust People Love
- Hawaiian Pizza Salad by Cricket’s Confections
- Homemade Pan Pizza by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Lahmacun (Turkish Pizza) by Curious Cuisiniere
- Lunchtime Pizza Muffins by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Meatball Sub Pizza by Life Tastes Good
- Mexican Pizza by Moore or Less Cooking
- Mexican-Style Corn Tortilla Pizzas by Home Sweet Homestead
- Mom’s Family Style Cavatini by Powered by BLING
- Onion Tart by Wholistic Woman
- Philly Cheesesteak Flatbread Pizza by Family Foodie
- Pizza Grilled Cheese by Eat, Drink and Be Tracy
- Pizza Pot Pies by Brunch-n-Bites
- Pizza Steak Hoagie by The Freshman Cook
- Pizza Toscana by Cooking with Carlee
- Roasted Garlic and Spinach Pizza with Balsamic Onions by Helpful Homemade
- Rustic Bacon & Citrus Pizza by Gourmet Everyday
- Sausage and Peppers Pizza by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Sausage Arugula Pizza by The Bitter Side of Sweet
- Shaved Brussels Sprouts and Bacon Grilled Pizza by Our Good Life
- Spinach and Feta Stuffed Pizza Bread by Mindy’s Cooking Obsession
- Supreme Breakfast Pizza by The Crumby Cupcake
- Taco Dip Pizza by Hardly a Goddess
- Tandoori Chicken Pizza with Fresh Basil and Mozzarella by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- The Mac Pizza by Seduction in the Kitchen
- Vegan Margherita Pizza by Simple and Savory
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.