This epic burger is part of a month-long event hosted by Girl Carnivore, but opinions are always my own!
These decadent beef burgundy burgers contain all the flavors of classic bœuf bourguignon: beef, red wine, mushrooms, onions and French herbs.
I shared another amazing burger two weeks ago, the Chipotle Guacamole Burger, and I'll have another one two weeks from today!a Rafflecopter giveaway
The Beef Burgundy Burger
I have an obsession with French culture. I studied French in high school and college. I trained at a culinary school that taught French cuisine. Part of my culinary school course included a 10-day trip to the Burgundy region of France.
While there, I tried escargot for the first time, ate fresh croissants, French bread, and authentic bœuf bourguignon, a stew of beef braised in red wine, with mushrooms, onions, garlic, and herbs.
I put all of those flavors into this amazing beef burgundy burger. The beef patty is a mixture of ground beef, red wine, onion and herbs. The burgers are topped with my favorite French brie, and a mixture of mushrooms and onion in a thickened beef sauce.
And of course, what French-inspired burger would be complete if it weren't served on a toasted buttery brioche bun?
This might be my favorite Burger Month creation so far. I love all the savory flavors blended together, complemented by the buttery sweet cheese and bun.
Beef burgundy burgers are rich and decadent, and need little more than a mixed greens salad served alongside. And of course, a glass of red wine.
For the topping
- 2 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 8 oz sliced baby bella mushrooms
- 1 small yellow onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 cloves garlic, finely minced or grated
- 1 cup beef stock
- Salt and pepper
For the burgers
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 2 teaspoon Herbes de Provence (a dried herb blend)*
- ⅓ cup Burgundy-style wine
- 3 tablespoon very finely minced onion
- 2 tablespoon finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 4 oz Brie cheese, cut into thin slices
- 4 brioche burger buns
- In a large skillet, heat the butter over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms. Cook, stirring, until the mushrooms brown, about 10 minutes. Add the sliced onion; cook, stirring, until slightly browned, about 2 minutes. Stir in the garlic, and cook for 30 seconds. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the beef stock and reduce the heat to low. Let the mushroom mixture simmer, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, mix the beef, wine, onion, Herbes de Provence, olive oil and Worcestershire. Divide the mixture into 4 patties, using your thumb to make an indentation in the middle of each for even cooking.
- Preheat your broiler to high, for toasting the burger buns later.
- Heat a large cast-iron skillet over medium-high. Cook the patties until browned, about 4 minutes for medium-rare. Turn patties; cook 2 minutes. Top each with Brie. Tent the skillet with foil and cook until the cheese melts, about 2 minutes.
- While the cheese is melting, toast the buns. Place the buns, cut-side up, on a broiler sheet or baking pan. Toast under the broiler, 4 inches from the heat, for 30 seconds to a minute.
- Divide the patties among the bun bottoms. Top with the mushroom and onion mixture, and the bun tops.
If you can't find premade Herbes de Provence dried herb blend, make your own by combining ½ teaspoon dried thyme, 2 pinches each dried savory, dried oregano, dried rosemary and dried parsley, and one pinch dried marjoram.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn a small percentage from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 862Total Fat: 54gSaturated Fat: 24gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 24gCholesterol: 248mgSodium: 863mgCarbohydrates: 44gFiber: 3gSugar: 10gProtein: 47g
I am not a certified nutritionist. This nutrition information is automatically calculated by third party software and is meant as a guideline only.
More Over-the-Top Burgers
Visit these other burger loving bloggers during the month of May to get more over-the-top burger recipes!
? Girl Carnivore ? A Kitchen Hoor's Adventures ?A Day in the Life on the Farm ? A Merry Recipe ? An Affair from the Heart ?Art of Natural Living ? Caroline's Cooking ?Chef Justin Grimm ?Chiles and Smoke ? City Living Boston ?Comfortably Domestic ?Culinary Adventures with Camilla ? Dixie Chik Cooks ? Everyday Eileen ? Everyday Southwest ? For the Love of Food ?Good Cook Doris ?Grillax: Fire. Food. Fun. ? Grilling Montana ? Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks ? Jolene's Recipe Journal ? Karen's Kitchen Stories ? Kate's Recipe Box ?Kudos Kitchen by Renee ?Life Currents ? Life of a Ginger ?Making Miracles ?Man Meat BBQ ? Miss in the KItchen ?Off the Eaten Path ?Our Good Life ? Palatable Pastime ? Pastry Chef Online ? Real Life With Dad ?Renee Nicole's Kitchen - Everyday Gourmet ? Sarah's Cucina Bella ?Savoring Midlife ? Seduction in the Kitchen ? Simple and Savory ? Spoonabilities ? Sumptuous Spoonfuls ? Swirls of Flavor ? The Redhead Baker ? The Spiffy Cookie ?This is How I Cook ? Thyme for Cocktails ?What's Cooking Italian Style Cuisine ? Wildflour's Cottage Kitchen ?Wile E. BBQ ? Wok & Skillet ?