This epic burger is part of a month-long event hosted by Girl Carnivore, but opinions are always my own!
Chipotle Guacamole Burgers are a Tex-Mex twist on an American classic. The beef patties are spiced with chipotle peppers and topped with guacamole.
May is National Burger Month, and Kita of Girl Carnivore hosts a fun challenge each year: post a delicious, over-the-top burger. I've taken the challenge in years past with a French Bistro burger, an Oscar-style burger, and a Philly-inspired burger.
This year's chipotle burgers are my favorite to date, a beef patty spiced with minced chipotle chilis in adobe, and topped with homemade guacamole.a Rafflecopter giveaway
The Chipotle Burger with Guacamole
At a tavern near us, they serve a California-inspired burger, basically, a beef patty topped with guacamole. Tasty, but there was room for improvement.
Instead of a basic beef patty, I incorporated minced chipotle chili peppers in adobo sauce into the mixture. Two tablespoons' worth makes a pretty spicy burger, so if you prefer a lower spice level, cut it down to one tablespoon.
These chipotle burgers are topped with a slice of pepper-jack cheese, and a heaping helping of homemade guacamole. All of this is served in between a toasted hamburger bun.
The type of bun is really up to you. I love a good potato bun. I found the easiest way to toast them is to use a toaster with a "bagel" setting, but a toaster-oven, or even an oven broiler work just fine, too.
The guacamole recipe in the recipe below makes just enough to top these burgers. If you plan to serve these burgers with tortilla chips, feel free to increase the amount of guac and use it for dipping the chips.
For the guacamole
- 1 ripe avocado
- ¼ cup finely chopped Roma tomato
- ½ jalapeno pepper, very finely chopped seeded and deveined
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped shallot
- ½ tablespoon finely chopped cilantro
- ⅛ to ¼ teaspoon lime juice
- Salt to taste
For the burgers
- 1 lb ground beef (80/20 recommended)
- 1 to 2 tablespoon chipotle chilis in adobo (with sauce), finely minced
- Kosher salt
- 4 slices pepper jack cheese
- 4 hamburger buns
- Chop the tomato, jalapeno pepper, shallot and cilantro for the guacamole. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the ground beef, minced chipotle chili pepper and sauce, and kosher salt.
- Set a cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat, and portion the beef mixture into four patties.
- Once the skillet is nice and hot, place the burger patties in the skillet, and cook for 5 minutes.
- Mash the avocado in a bowl. Add the jalapeno, shallot, cilantro and a pinch of kosher salt, and mash a little more. Gently mix in the tomatoes and lime juice. Taste and season with more salt if needed.
- Turn the burger patties over and cook for 4 minutes.
- Meanwhile, toast the burger buns (I like using a toaster with a bagel setting).
- About a minute before the burgers are finished, lay a slice of cheese on top of each patty.
- Once the cheese has melted, transfer the burger patties to the buns. Top with 1 to 2 tablespoon of the guacamole. Serve with a side of potato or tortilla chips.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn a small percentage from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 635Total Fat: 38gSaturated Fat: 14gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 19gCholesterol: 127mgSodium: 825mgCarbohydrates: 29gFiber: 5gSugar: 5gProtein: 44g
I am not a certified nutritionist. This nutrition information is automatically calculated by third party software and is meant as a guideline only.
More Over-the-Top Burgers
Visit these other burger loving bloggers during the month of May to get more over-the-top burger recipes!
? Girl Carnivore ? A Kitchen Hoor's Adventures ?A Day in the Life on the Farm ? A Merry Recipe ? An Affair from the Heart ?Art of Natural Living ? Caroline's Cooking ?Chef Justin Grimm ?Chiles and Smoke ? City Living Boston ?Comfortably Domestic ?Culinary Adventures with Camilla ?Daily Dish Recipes ? Everyday Eileen ? Everyday Southwest ? For the Love of Food ?Good Cook Doris ?Grillax: Fire. Food. Fun. ? Grilling Montana ? Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks ? Jolene's Recipe Journal ? Karen's Kitchen Stories ? Kate's Recipe Box ?Kudos Kitchen by Renee ?Life Currents ? Life of a Ginger ?Making Miracles ?Man Meat BBQ ? Miss in the KItchen ?Off the Eaten Path ?Our Good Life ? Palatable Pastime ? Pastry Chef Online ? Real Life With Dad ?Renee Nicole's Kitchen - Everyday Gourmet ? Sarah's Cucina Bella ?Savoring Midlife ? Seduction in the Kitchen ? Simple and Savory ? Spoonabilities ? Sumptuous Spoonfuls ? Swirls of Flavor ? The Spiffy Cookie ?This is How I Cook ? Thyme for Cocktails ?What's Cooking Italian Style Cuisine ? Wildflour's Cottage Kitchen ?Wile E. BBQ ? Wok & Skillet ?
Thank you to #BurgerMonth Sponsors: Cabot, Anvil & Hammer, New York Beef Council, Red Duck Foods, and Spoonabilities for providing prizes for this epic event. All opinions are my own. The #BurgerMonth giveaway is open to U.S. residents, age 18 & up. All winning entries are verified. By entering you give the right to use your name and likeness.
The number of entries received determines the odds of winning. One winner for each weekly giveaway will be selected. The prize packages are sent directly from the sponsors. Winners have 48 hours to respond or they forfeit the prize and another winner(s) will be chosen.
The #BurgerMonth Bloggers are not responsible for the fulfillment or delivery of the prize packages. No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law. This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter or any other social channel mentioned in the #BurgerMonth posts or entry.