Honor the mothers in your life with this beautiful, decadent cherry cheesecake pastry braid drizzled with chocolate glaze.
Happy Mothers Day to all of the moms, moms-to-be, step-moms, pet moms, or anyone who acts as a motherly figure to another person. Whether you choose to spend the day surrounded by your family, or you want them out of your hair for just five minutes so you can have some peace and quiet, I hope you have a day you enjoy.
Me? I'm spending my morning at Pee Wee Tee Ball, watching the coaches
herd cats teach my son the game of baseball. Then, if we can drag Liam away from the playground, we'll come back for a homemade brunch of overnight French toast casserole. Then I'll give my own mom a call.
I mentioned in another post that my mom and I both love tropical foods. That's about where our similarities end. I love to cook; my mom tolerates it. My mom loves bright, girl clothes; I don't (my color tastes are changing, but I still don't do ruffles). I love, love, love sweets; my mom doesn't. The one exception is cheesecake.
And so, this not-overly-sweet cheesecake-and-cherry filled pastry braid is to celebrate my mom. I think it's something we would both enjoy. It's also deceptively easy to make. And if you don't like cherries, you can substitute just about any fruit you do prefer. These pastry braids also freeze well. Follow the recipe up to Step 6, then place the pastry braid (on the sheet pan) in the freezer. Once the braid is frozen solid, you can wrap it well in two layers of plastic wrap, and freeze for up to a month. You can bake it straight from frozen, it will just take longer.
For the pastry braid:
- 1 sheet puff pastry, thawed
- 1 oz brick cream cheese, at room temperature, 8-
- ¼ cup sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 1 cup pitted sweet cherries
For the chocolate drizzle:
- 1 cup confectioners sugar, 4 oz
- 1 tbsp + 1 tsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp milk
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Dust a clean work surface lightly with flour.
- Roll the puff pastry out to a rectange 13 inches in length by 10 inches in width.
- Visually divide the dough into thirds lengthwise. On the outer thirds, use a pizza cutter to make diagonal cuts about ½-inch to an inch wide down the length of the pastry.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the cream cheese until smooth. Gradually beat in the sugar and vanilla extract, scrape the bowl, then add the egg and beat just until combined.
- Spoon the cheesecake mixture down the center of the puff pastry. Distribute the pitted cherries throughout the cheesecake mixture.
- Fold alternate strips of puff pastry up and over the cheesecake filling, creating a braided effect. When you get to the last strips, pinch to seal.
- Bake for 35 minutes, or until golden brown. Place the baking sheet on a wire rack to cool.
- Make the drizzle: in a small mixing bowl, whisk together the confectioners sugar, cocoa powder, milk and vanilla extract until smooth and pourable. Use a spoon to drizzle the chocolate glaze back and forth over the cooled pastry braid.
- Cut the braid into slices and serve.
Adapted from Willow Bird Baking
More #SundaySupper Mother's Day-Inspired Recipes
- Ginger Shandy by Nosh My Way
- La Vie en Rose by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Momma's Mimosa by Our Good Life
Starters and Salads
- Cheese Bread by Ninja Baker
- Classic Basil Pesto Crostini by Cooking Chat
- Fennel and Radish Citrus Salad by Tasting Page
- Pate with Spiced Pears by The Joyful Foodie
- Pesto Pasta Salad by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Super Sunny Dutch Oven Sourdough by What Smells So Good?
- Blackberry Almond Mascarpone Stuffed French Toast by The Crumby Cupcake
- Broccoli Cheddar Frittata with Tomatoes by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Chicken Tajine with Prunes and Almonds by The Petit Gourmet
- Coriander Salmon with Capered Green Beans by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Dutch Baby Pancake by Curious Cuisiniere
- Goat Cheese Scrambled Eggs and Ramps in Puff Pastry by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Mimosa Waffles by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Mushroom Manchego Cream Filled Crepes by Lifestyle Food Artistry
- Parmesan Crusted Chicken with Arugula Salad by Casa de Crews
Treats and Sweets
- Angel Food Cakes in a Jar by Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Black Cow Cupcakes by Cindy's Recipes and Writings
- Blueberry Breakfast Cake by Noshing With The Nolands
- Bourbon Peach Frozen Yogurt by Food Lust People Love
- Cherry Cheesecake Pastry Braid by The Redhead Baker
- Crustless Creamy Blueberry Swirl Cheesecake by Magnolia Days
- Deluxe Salted Caramel Turtle Sundae by The Weekend Gourmet
- Gluten Free Strawberries and Cream Cake by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Lemon Blackberry Mini Tarts by Life Tastes Good
- Lemon Brownies by Pies and Plots
- Lower Fat Peach Cheesecake by Food Done Light
- Mini Chocolate Marshmallow Bombe Soufflé by Nik Snacks
- Mini Lemon Almond Cupcakes by Caroline's Cooking
- Nutella Cheesecake Shooters by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Pavlova by The Freshman Cook
- Perfect Chocolate Cupcakes by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Raspberry Mascarpone Mini Tarts by Palatable Pastime
- Rose Apple Custard Tart by Jane's Adventures in Dinner
- Soft-Baked Lemon Coconut Cookies by One Sweet Mess
- Steamed Strawberry Coconut Poke Cake by Wallflour Girl
- Sunshine Lemon Cake Pop Bouquet by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Triple Chocolate Layer Cake by Take A Bite Out of Boca