Snack on these easy Philly cheesesteak sliders, loaded with beef, fried onions, and provolone cheese at your next football party!
As summer (sadly) comes to an end, football season starts, which means tailgates and football parties! Our event today is all about football food.
I live in an area that loves their football (Philadelphia), and I turned our city’s most popular sandwich — the cheesesteak — into bite-sized sliders ideal for a football party.
I started by sauteeing an onion. You can order a cheesesteak “wit” or “witout” (meaning with or without fried onions), but I really recommend including the onion because it adds flavor to the beef.
Cheesesteaks are most often made with shaved rib-eye beef, but to make these easier since most people don’t have the means at home to shave beef, I used sliced roast beef from the deli section.
Finally, the cheese. For some reason, a lot of non-Philadelphians think that Cheez Whiz is the classic cheese on a cheesesteak. Well, the cheesesteak pre-dates the invention of Cheez Whiz, so, no. Provolone and American cheeses are most popular on a cheesesteak sandwich. Cheddar would also taste great, but most real Philly cheesesteak shop don’t offer it.
These are so easy, yet so delicious, so I hope you’ll make a batch for your football party this season!
Pin this recipe for Philly Cheesesteak Sliders for later!
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 1/2 white or yellow onion, sliced thin
- 1 lb deli roast beef (very rare, sliced as thin as possible)
- 6 oz sliced provolone cheese
- 12 slider buns
- Heat the canola oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion slices and cook until softened and starting to caramelize, about 6 mintes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the roast beef to the skillet, and using two spatulas, pull the slices of beef apart to shred as it cooks, mixing it with the onions, until the beef is no longer pink.
- Turn the heat under the skillet to low. Spread the cheese slices over the beef and onion mixture and cover the skillet until the cheese melts.
- Divide the beef mixture among the slider buns, and arrange the sliders on a serving tray.
Recipe by The Redhead Baker
Discover more #SundaySupper Football Food Ideas for Game Day!
- Atomic Buffalo Turds by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Avocado Corn Salad by Books ‘n Cooks
- Bacon-wrapped Shrimp Jalapeño Poppers by Food Lust People Love
- BLT Bites by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Buffalo Cauliflower Bites by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Buffalo Chicken Meatballs by Highlands Ranch Foodie
- Buffalo Chicken Taquitos with Cilantro Crème by Cooking with Carlee
- Chipotle Lime Chicken Fajita Sliders by Flavor Mosaic
- Cucumber Shrimp Cups by Sunday Supper Movement
- Game Day Burger Sliders by Dessert Geek
- Gyro Meatballs & Herbed Yogurt Dip by My Life Cookbook
- Ham and Salami Rollups by Bottom Left of the Mitten
- Healthier Patatas Bravas by Caroline’s Cooking
- Kale Pesto Dip by Cooking Chat
- Lemony Chicken Wings by Basic N Delicious
- Liptauer (Hungarian Cheese Spread) by Curious Cuisinere
- Loaded Guacamole by Casa de Crews
- Loaded Smashed Potatoes by The Hungry Goddess
- Mexican Spinach Dip by Meal Planning Magic
- Nachodillas with Jalapeno Bean Dip by Palatable Pastime
- No-Bake Almond Energy Bites by Pies and Plots
- PB&J Wings by The Crumby Cupcake
- Pork Belly Sliders by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Queso Blanco Dip by Life Tastes Good
- Roasted Jalapeno and Chorizo Queso by The Texan New Yorker
- Sausage Pizza Dip by Family Foodie
- Ultimate Taco Dip by Monica’s Table
- Bacon Swiss Burger Sliders by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Black Bean Chili by Cricket’s Confections
- Blackberry Sriracha BBQ Wings by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Honey Lime BBQ Chicken Thighs by Our Good Life
- Mexican Pizza by Chef Next Door
- Oven-Fried Chicken Tenders by Food Done Light
- Oven-Fried Fish Sliders by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Philly Cheesesteak Sliders by The Redhead Baker
- White Chicken Chili by Powered by BLING
- Buffalo Chicken Pasta Salad by Crazed Mom
- 5-Ingredient Buckeye Dip by A Mind Full Mom
- Brownie Bomb Bars by Turnips 2 Tangerines
- Chocolate Football Cookies by The Freshman Cook
- Miso Salted Caramel Ice Cream Sandwiches by Ninja Baker
- Touchdown Popcorn Toffee Bark by The Weekend Gourmet
- White Chocolate Toffee Chunk Cookies by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.