Bring out a tray of these boozy strawberry shortcake dessert shooters at your next get-together and you'll be the hit of the party!
I love entertaining. From a sit-down dinner for four, to a party for 50, I love planning, decorating and cooking the food.
When planning a large party, I find that making trays of miniature foods and desserts is fun, presents well, and makes things easier on the guests.
For a long time, I had a second job working with a catering company, and all they did were trays of upscale food. They catered a lot of in-home parties for the upper-class (like the founder of a certain provider of home-delivered weight loss meals), and part of my job was plating the trays.
These strawberry shortcake shooters are kicked up a notch by using strawberries mascerated in sugar and red wine. Instead of shortcakes, I used crumbled shortbread cookies, both for the added flavor, and crunchy texture.
The strawberries can mascerate for several hours, but don't assemble the shortcake shooters any earlier than an hour ahead of serving time. If you prepare them any earlier, you run the risk of the strawberry/wine liquid turning the shortbread cookies into mush.
You may want to make up MANY more of these than you think you'll need, because there is no way you'll be able to eat just one!
- 6 large strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ¼ cup red wine
- 4 shortbread cookies, broken into chunks
- Whipped cream
- 6 small strawberries, halved, for garnish
- Place the sliced strawberries in a non-reactive bowl. Sprinkle with sugar and toss to coat. Pour the red wine over the strawberries. Set the bowl aside for at least 30 minutes.
- Divide the shortbread chunks among 12 shot glasses. Divide the strawberries among the shot glasses, then top each with whipped cream. Garnish each with a small strawberry half, and refrigerate for up to an hour if not serving immediately.
A Redhead Baker original recipe
Don't forget to check out the other #SundaySupper recipes:
- Antipasto Skewers by Simply Gourmet
- BLT Bites by The Life and Loves of Grumpy's Honeybunch
- BLT Canapes by Peaceful Cooking
- BLT Crostini with Basil Mayonnaise by Bobbi's Kozy Kitchen
- Blueberry Jam and Goat Cheese Crostini by Casa de Crews
- Brie and Tomato Bruschetta by Jane's Adventures in Dinner
- Cajun Deviled Eggs by Peanut Better and Peppers
- Coquilles St. Jacques by Nosh My Way
- Crudite Platter with Copycat Hidden Valley Ranch Dip by Hot Momma's Kitchen Chaos
- Crunchy Tuna Salad Boats by A Mama, Baby & Shar-pei in the Kitchen
- Feta Zucchini Bites by Curious Cuisiniere
- Gluten Free Thai Soup Shooters by Gluten Free Crumbley
- Goat Cheese Stuffed Figs by Eat, Drink and be Tracy
- Heirloom Caprese Salad by Shockingly Delicious
- Jalapeño Mac 'n Cheese Bites by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- The Modern Relish Tray by An Appealing Plan
- Mostarda di Frutta by Rhubarb and Honey
- Pimento Cheese Stuffed Peppers by Magnolia Days
- Ploughman's Platter for a Party by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Puff Pastry Cheese Sticks by Basic N Delicious
- Rye Party Puffs by Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Southwestern Turkey Sliders by The Texan New Yorker
- Spinach and Mushroom Pizza Bites by The Dinner-Mom
- Tomato Basil Soup Shooters by Cindy's Recipes and Writings
- Zucchini and Summer Squash Crostini by Hip Foodie Mom
- Alice in Wonderland Sugar Cookies by Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Baked Lemon Glazed Mini Donuts by Killer Bunnies Inc.
- French Silk Shooters by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- German Chocolate Brownie Bites by Wallflour Girl
- Mini Banana Nutella Cheesecake Parfaits (#glutenfree option) by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Raspberry Fools by The Foodie Army Wife
- Strawberry Shortcake Dessert Shooters by The Redhead Baker
- Vegan Caramel Truffles by What Smells So Good?
- White Chocolate Peanut Butter & Banana Bites by Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Witchy Chocolate Mousse with Culinary Fairy Dust by Culinary Adventures with Camilla