These spicy little snacks will be the hit of any guy get-together. Jalapeño poppers are doctored up with spiced crispy pork belly.
Mother’s Day is all about delicate brunch foods, and Father’s Day is all about Man Food — meat, cheese, bacon, and beer. Big, bold flavors.
I asked Dave for some inspiration. What kind of “man food” would he like for Father’s Day? A big, juicy burger? Pizza smothered in cheese? Bacon-wrapped shrimp?
He said he’d been in the mood for jalapeño poppers. Spicy, cheesy, eat-with-your-hands snack — that definitely qualifies as man food.
But I decided to take it to another level by adding his favorite indulgence — pork belly. And to up the flavor ante, I covered the pork belly with a spicy chili rub before crisping it up in a skillet.
I found fully-cooked pork belly at Trader Joe’s, so my cooking instructions reflect that. If you use raw pork belly, be sure to cook it fully using whatever cooking method you prefer.
The consensus? WOW! So much heat and flavor! These little poppers would be perfect for any barbecue, tailgate, or fiesta party.
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp chipotle chili powder
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp ground mustard powder
- 4 ounces cooked pork belly, diced
- 12 jalapeno peppers, split, seeds and ribs removed
- 1 1/2 oz shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1 1/2 oz shredded Monterey jack cheese
- 2 oz cream cheese at room temperature
- Combine the brown sugar, kosher salt, chili powder, chipotle chili powder, black pepper and ground mustard in a medium bowl. Add the diced pork belly and toss to coat.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat, and add the pork belly, and cook until crispy. Remove with a slotted spoon to a paper-towel lined plate to drain.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- In another mixing bowl, whisk together the cream cheese and the shredded cheeses. Add the pork belly and gently fold the meat into the cheese mixture.
- Scoop the filling into each of the jalapeno pepper halves. Arrange the peppers on a baking sheet.
- Bake for about 20 minutes, until the cheeses are melted and bubbly. Serve hot.
Don’t forget to check out the other #SundaySupper man food recipes!
- BBQ Chicken Nacho by Country Girl in The Kitchen
- Beer Battered Fried Mushrooms by Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Burrata Bresaola and Arugula Appetizer by Family Foodie
- Chicken Satay with Spicy Peanut Sauce by Hip Foodie Mom
- Chipotle Pork Belly-Stuffed Jalapeño Poppers by The Redhead Baker
- Coconut Beer-Battered Prawns with Spicy Marmalade by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Devils on Horseback by Nosh My Way
- Fried Pickles by Cookin’ Mimi
- Garlic and Herb Wine Jelly by What Smells So Good?
- Maple Sriracha Chicken Wings by Manu’s Menu
- Tomato Bacon Jam by Feed Me, Seymour
- Bacon Bourbon BBQ Burgers by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Bacon Cheeseburger Crustless Quiche by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Beef Barbacoa by Casa de Crews
- Beef Short Rib Sandwich by Life Tastes Good
- Beer Brats with Pepper Relish by Jelly Toast
- Beer Can Chicken by Curious Cuisiniere
- Chicago Style-Pizza by Small Wallet, Big Appetite
- Chili Dog Casserole by Simple Gourmet
- Chipotle Pork Chops by girlichef
- Coconut & Lime Grilled Shrimp Skewers by Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Colossal Burger by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Gluten Free Lemon Pepper Wings by Gluten Free Crumbley
- Grilled Chipotle Chicken Pizza by Peaceful Cooking
- Grilled Lobster with Miso Butter by Kimchi MOM
- Grilled Sweet Guava Chicken by The Foodie Army Wife
- Ham and Pineapple Pizza Pockets by gotta get baked
- Huevos Rancheros Casserole by Pescetarian Journal
- Lacquered Short Ribs in the Slow Cooker by Shockingly Delicious
- Maple Chipotle Barbecue Pork Tenderloin by Flavor Mosaic
- Meatball Burger on Garlic Bread by Healthy.Delicious.
- Mom’s Slow Roasted Brisket by Food Lust People Love
- Perfectly Pan Seared Steak by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
- Pollo al Peperoncino by Run DMT
- Polish Coal Miner Piggies (Stuffed Cabbage Rolls- Golabki) by Rants from my Crazy Kitchen
- Red Chile Shredded Chicken Tacos. How to win over your man’s stomach and steal his heart. by Simply Healthy Family
- Ropa Vieja by Meal Diva
- Salt of the Earth Ribs by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Salisbury Steak w/ Loaded Mashed Potatoes and Mushroom Gravy by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Smoked Turkey Drumsticks by Cindy’s Recipes and Writing
- Stuffed Chipotle Bacon Cheese Burgers by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Stuffed Pork Chops by The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Tex-Mex Gut Buster Chili by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- The Cleveland Hogg Burger by Seduction in the Kitchen
- Beer Funnel Cake by Killer Bunnies, Inc.
- Black Forest Cake by Noshing with the Nolands
- Carob Chip Cookies by Pies and Plots
- Chunky Monkey Vegan Banana Bread by Ninjabaking.com
- Classic Cheesecake by Hot Momma’s Kitchen Chaos
- Fat Man’s Pie by Magnolia Days
- Mandarin orange cake aka southern pig pickin’ cake by Baking & Browning
- Pizookies by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Grilled Pound Cake Stacks with Roasted Strawberries by Melanie Makes
- Strawberry Rhubarb Pie With Mascarpone Cream by La Bella Vita Cucina
Wine Pairings for Man Food #SundaySupper byENOFYLZ Wine Blog
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our#SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.