Being a Philadelphia native, my favorite thing about November is the Wawa Gobbler hot turkey sandwich. I re-created these cranberry and turkey sandwiches — a regional staple — at home for #SundaySupper’s Thanksgiving leftovers theme!
In the days after Halloween, usually after bingeing on leftover candy, I need something savory to balance all that sweet. If you’re on the mid- to northern-East Coast, you’ve likely heard of the popular local convenience store called Wawa. I head there for a hot Gobbler sandwich.
The Gobbler is a hoagie sandwich (also known as a sub sandwich or a hero), with cranberry sauce as the condiment, and stuffed with hot turkey meat dripping with gravy, and stuffing. It’s like having Thanksgiving leftovers before Thanksgiving even gets here.
You can make cranberry and turkey sandwiches at home with your Thanksgiving leftovers. You’ll need club sandwich rolls (I used 4-inch long rolls, also called “catering” rolls, but you can use any size you want, though for longer rolls, you’ll need extra filling ingredients); turkey meat (light or dark), sliced about 1/4 of an inch, or thinner. You’ll need gravy, and stuffing (the moister, the better), and jellied cranberry sauce. You could also serve these on leftover buttermilk biscuits.
Want to make these at home, but you’re not hosting Thanksgiving (or otherwise somehow used up all of your leftovers)? Grab some roasted turkey deli meat, and ask them to slice it thick. Then either make some stuffing, or get the stuff in the box at the grocery store. Voila!
- 1 cup leftover turkey gravy
- 8 ounces leftover turkey, thinly sliced
- 2 club sandwich rolls
- 2 tbsp leftover jellied cranberry sauce
- 1/2 cup leftover stuffing
- Warm the gravy in a medium saucepan over medium heat. When just starting to simmer, add the turkey meat, and heat just until the turkey meat is warmed through.
- Split the club sandwich rolls, and spread 1 tbsp of cranberry sauce on both sides of each roll.
- Arrange 4 ounces of turkey meat and 1/4 cup of the stuffing on each sandwich roll. Spoon more gravy over top, if desired.
- Serve warm.
Inspired by the Wawa Gobbler
Don’t forget to check out the other #SundaySupper Thanksgiving leftovers recipes!
- Cranberry Sauce Muffins by The Foodie Army Wife
- Leftover Stuffing Breakfast Strata by Ruffles & Truffles
- Sweet Potato Casserole Muffins by Magnolia Days
- Turkey & Chorizo Breakfast Hash by Brunch with Joy
- Italian Mashed Potato Pancakes by The Weekend Gourmet
- Cranberry Sauce’d Corn Bread Muffins by Rhubarb and Honey
- Leftover Pie by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Thanksgiving Leftover Waffles by Foxes Love Lemons
- Stuffing Hash by The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Turkey Pizza by Meal Diva
- Turkey & Caramelized Onion Risotto by kimchi MOM
- Turkey with Creamy Mushroom Marsala Sauce by Casa de Crews
- Moroccan Turkey Stew by What Smells So Good?
- Peruvian Cilantro & Turkey Soup by The Little Ferraro Kitchen
- Turkey & Butternut Squash Stew by Cooking Chat
- Turkey Kreplach Soup by Panning the Globe
- Turkey & Stuffing Crepes by Peaceful Cooking
- Cranberry Apple Pecan Chicken Salad by NeighborFood
- Herbed Turkey over Cornbread Waffles with Cranberry Sauce by girlichef
- Creamy Peanut Gochujang Pasta by Wallflour Girl
- Cranberry Sweet Potato Soup by Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Turkey Enchilada Pasta Bake by Curious Cuisiniere
- Turkey Orzo Risotto by Family Foodie
- Turkey Croquettes by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Cheesy Mashed Potato Croquettes by Noshing with the Nolands
- Whipped Carrots with Sriracha Butter by Healthy Delicious
- Cranberry-Balsamic Glazed Cauliflower Wings by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Parmesan Mashed Cauliflower and Potatoes by Momma’s Meals
- Cheesy Jalapeño Potato Cakes by Bobbi’s Cozy Kitchen
- Cranberry and Turkey Sandwich by The Redhead Baker (recipe above)
- Monte Cristo Sandwich by Nik Snacks
- Hot Brown Turkey Sandwiches by The Life and Loves of Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Sprouted Grain Turkey, Cranberry & Brie Panini by Amee’s Savory Dish
- Turkey Cranberry Flatbread by Peanut Butter and Peppers
Condiments & Sauces:
- Cranberry Vinaigrette by Nosh My Way
- Leftover White Wine Syrup by Food Lust People Love
- DIY Yellow Mustard by The Texan New Yorker
- Banana Cheesecake with Pecan Graham Cracker Crust by Desserts Required
- Cranberry Cream Cheese Bars by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Gluten-Free Lemon Cake by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Spiced Cranberry Sauce Buckle by The Wimpy Vegetarian
Cocktails & Drinks:
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on Twitter on Sunday!We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7 p.m. ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtagand remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.