As most of you probably know, this food blog is a hobby for me. My career is in graphic design, more specifically, print design. I love printed things. As much as I love my Kindle, I will never give up paper copies of books. I still send printed party invitations. And my favorite? Christmas cards. Yeah, I know, it’s only October. Some years, I don’t have a particular photo in mind that I want to use, and I browse designs in search of inspiration for a photo to take.
I was recently contacted by Minted.com to do a review of their site. I was familiar with Minted’s Christmas card designs, but I had never clicked around the rest of their site. One thing I’d never realized until Minted contacted me is that the site is a compilation of designs by various artists.
In addition to holiday cards, they also offer invitations (wedding, shower, birthday parties, etc.), stationery, printed planners and address books, business cards, party decorations, and home decor. Look at this adorable choo-choo train birthday party invitation! It’s too bad Liam wanted Sesame Street for his party theme this year.
Some themes even have whole party packages: if you order three or more items from the same theme, you save 15% on each item. Options include cupcake toppers, circle garland, table signs, party crowns and more!
I love their business card options, too. Each is customizable with your company logo, and even your company colors. I’m seriously considering ordering these for my blog, for networking purposes:
Almost all invitations are available in rectangles, rounded-corner rectangles, or scalloped edges. Some are even available as tag shapes! This option is great for Christmas cards. Thread some string through the hole in the top, and they can easily become part of your Christmas decor!
As with most online sites, if you create an account, you can save your favorite designs to quickly find them later. Some of my other favorite features of Minted:
- Just about all of their designs are customizable: whether it’s the wording, the color, the shape, or even the card orientation, you can make any design uniquely yours.
- I love that if I find a design that I really like, if I click on the designer’s name, I can see more designs by that artist, and even read a short bio about the artist.
- Want to take advantage of a sale or coupon code, but you don’t have a photo ready yet? No problem. You can complete your order and upload your photo later.
- If you have a photo you want to use, you can upload it, and “test it out” in any of Minted’s designs before you buy.
- Another feature if you already know what photo you want to use: go the filter bar, and click “see more filters,” then you can choose to only view designs that match the orientation of your photo!
- You can make special requests — need a blemish removed? Colors adjusted? Note that in the “special requests” box, and a designer will get in touch with you to complete your request. Some special requests may incur additional costs.
- Minted’s blog! Design contests, in-depth conversations with their independent artists, even recipes! I added them to my Feedly reader.
- Minted partners with Plant-It 2020, a non-profit organization founded by the late folk singer John Denver that plants indigenous tree seedlings in non-logging sites. Minted will contribute to planting 100,000 trees from 10/1/14 through 9/30/15, and number that represents roughly 7 times the amount of tree material used to print their products.
Some of my favorite 2014 designs:
To get updates or coupon codes, subscribe to their email list, or follow Minted on Pinterest, Twitter and Facebook!
Disclosure: I was compensated for this post with a credit for use on Minted.com. All opinions are my own and are not influenced in any way.